Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Any Altera FPGA boards that support OpenCL on Soc?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm really interested in the Altera OpenCL on Soc solution. I'd like to ask that currently is there any board supports this? (The board should have arm cores and also support OpenCL programming.) 

Thanks  

Shaodong
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

The Cyclone V SoC Dev. Kit does. I'm currently working with this board and I managed to run my aoc-compiled kernels on the FPGA, using the ARM proc. as the host. 

The documentation for OpenCL on SoC as available on request, so you need to get in touch with an Altera representative to get access to it. 

Good luck :) 

koper
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi koper, 

Great news! Thanks to the reply. Then I can ask Altera to get further support.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The Cyclone V SoC Dev. Kit  

koper 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello again, 

I'd like to know that does the Cyclone V SoC Dev.kit have enough resources for OpenCL programming? I mean programming logic cells.  

i'm considering, if it doesn't have so many LE, then the compiler may tell me all the time that resources on FPGA is not enough for your kernel... 

Thanks. 

Shaodong
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends on what you are trying to accelerate and how you optimize. The amount of what I call "overhead" hardware is reduced when targetting the SoC device because you don't have PCIe and other stuff in the way. If you already have an OpenCL license you could try compiling any kernels that you already have and extrapolating whether they'll fit in the SoC device by comparing the resources of the Stratix V device to the Cyclone V SoC device. 

Often you can break kernels down into smaller pieces and handle the processing with multiple hardware image files. Then what you can do is swap kernel files in and out. Of course you need to make sure the processing time is significant so that you don't spend all the time swapping hardware instead of processing. 

While you contact Altera to get more information I recommend you let them know what you intend to accelerate since they may have already seen similar situations and can offer advice if there will be enough logic available to implement what you want.
0 Kudos