Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Can we flash a program in Stratix IV FPGA kit using the 30 day trial web edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Guys, 

I am a newbie to quartus II software and FPGA kits, I downloaded the 30 day trial web edition 13.1 quartus software. It came around 18GB. 

The thing is I have made a schematic of my circuit and when I try to flash it on a stratix IV kit, the quartus software is not detecting the kit at all. 

Also when I open the Quartus II software it opens a dialog box stating that "Device programming files not supported". 

Basically I want to know that can I flash my program in Stratix IV kit using the 30 day trial period or if it works only in the licensed version of the software. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The web edition doesn't support Stratix. It doesn't support them by not generating programming files. You'll need a subscription edition to put your device to use. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The web edition doesn't support Stratix. It doesn't support them by not generating programming files. You'll need a subscription edition to put your device to use. 

Regards, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

So if I use the 30 day trial of subscription edition, will I be able to flash my program on the Stratix IV FPGA kit? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, as long as you don't use any IP that also requires a license (such as a Nios II/s or /f CPU)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Didn't you get a DVD with the kit? If yes it should include a subscription edition of Quartus, with a one-year license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually I am a student and I took the kit for 30 days from a company. Those guys gave me the kit but told that I need to fend for myself for the software. 

Basically they intentionally did not give me the software. They told that a trial version would be sufficient, wherein I got stuck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAIK there is no restriction when using the 30 day trial, so just download the subscription edition and choose the trial option. Then you should be able to generate the programming files for the Stratix.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

AFAIK there is no restriction when using the 30 day trial, so just download the subscription edition and choose the trial option. Then you should be able to generate the programming files for the Stratix. 

--- Quote End ---  

Now here is my one last final hurdle..... 

1.) I created username and password on altera website and downloaded subscription edition 30 day trial on DELL laptop and completed duration of 30 days.(A year ago) 

2.) I gave the same username and password to my ACER and VIAO friends(we are working together on the kit) and they downloaded subscription edition trial version. 

3.) Since I finished the trial a year ago, is that the reason why my friends are not able to flash the program? 

4.) Are their IP address now "linked" to my user name and password? 

5.) If so how do I go about it? 

It would be very grateful if you could clear my doubt about how the system of trial version works on different computers. 

This project is very crucial for us. Please help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAIK, the first time you run Quartus subscription edition, it will ask you for a license, and there you can ask for the 30-day trial. From there on the temporary license is linked to the computer. But its possible that Altera only allows this once per account on the altera website. 

What do they see if they go to "License Setup" in the Tools menu? 

When they installed Quartus, did they install the correct devices? With the most recent versions of Quartus, devices are a separate download and you need to choose the FPGAs families that you will use.
0 Kudos