Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Quartus Integration with GIT

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been using Quartus with GIT for version control for quite some time now. My question is related to switching branches. It seems as if the database files with Quartus are persistent in their references to the .qsf, .qpf. In other words, when I switch branches in a GIT repo, and open the qpf in the new branch, the top level file and hierarchy still points to the previous branch. I will often use Processing -> Start -> Start Hierarchy Elaboration to provide myself a sanity check and make sure the new branch files are there. Any suggestions on how to alleviate this? Thanks. James

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Any suggestions on how to alleviate this? 

--- Quote End ---  

My personal preference is to use a Tcl script to create the project from scratch. 

This allows me to create a Quartus-version-specific build area, eg., the machine I am on now builds into C:\build\quartus\v12.1_sp1_web\<board name>\<project name>, whereas my development machines have the full-edition of this version of Quartus, along with newer editions. I use this same scheme for Modelsim too (allowing build areas specific to Modelsim-ASE and Modelsim-SE versions). 

I am sure you could easily extend this build directory concept to incorporate a path based on the git branch. 

If you'd like an example, let me know what development boards you have, and I likely have the same board. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Creating the project from scratch seems like the safest way . . .  

In my case I have Python which does this. However, it has been a bit easier that when switching branches in GIT, just to recompile in Quartus and then the correct files show up. However, if the project was to be built from Tcl or Python each time checking into a new GIT branch, then any potentional confusion would be avoided . . . . 

Perhaps in the future Quartus will have GIT integration on the Linux version of the software.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Perhaps in the future Quartus will have GIT integration on the Linux version of the software. 

--- Quote End ---  

If the developers of Quartus considered HDL development to be like software development (which in my mind they should have long ago), then Quartus would not spew build files in its source directory, IP would not be generated with static paths, you'd be able to build HDL into libraries (like Modelsim), and Quartus would be able to automatically generate a Makefile to re-build a project from scratch. 

Don't hold your breath waiting for git support :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Agreed 200% Dave! 

<OT stuff>I'd also like to see more of the configuration/programming "intelligence" pushed into the config/control block of the FPGA portion of these chips from Altera. They're reaching the point where they are becoming so big that even configuration time is becoming significant.</OT stuff> 

Regardless, treating things more like a software flow would be a step in the right direction.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Regardless, treating things more like a software flow would be a step in the right direction. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm hoping that as SoC's become more popular, that "good software process and practices" will start being adopted into all aspects of the tool flow. 

Otherwise it will be a nightmare to support an SoC-based project + custom HDL + 3rd party IP + OpenCL + etc etc through multiple generations of tool upgrades ... 

Yikes! 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera has advertised OpenCL quite a bit. Would it not be a logical progression to borrow from this type of design flow to incorporate GIT into Quartus? ... James

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera has advertised OpenCL quite a bit. Would it not be a logical progression to borrow from this type of design flow to incorporate GIT into Quartus? ... James 

--- Quote End ---  

Quartus has a feedback option under the Help menu. Use it to file a suggestion and see what happens. Don't hold your breath though :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos