Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Set up flash in Qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I want to boot my software from a flash memory but first i need to set up the hardware. Can anyone help me to set up the hardware? I'm using Qsys but all the "how to" i find are all uing System Builder. And when I have my hardware do I need too include a bootloader in my software or does the tools do i for me? 

Thank you for your help :)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends of how do you set up your board. An usual scheme is :  

- FPGA Hardware config in an EPCS memory through Active Serial connection with the generated .pof file to this OR program FPGA through JTAG with the generated .sof file. <-- "Quartus Programmer" 

- Embedded software in FLASH memory through JTAG with a running FPGA with your Qsys and co. The NIOS II IDE/SBT does compile and generate the .elf file. If you want to program the FLASH with bootloader + your software : Nios II IDE.SBT > Nios > Nios II Flash Programmer does the job. 

If you are at ease in command line, you can find quite easily the commands used by Nios II SBT : see .sh in your BSP directory. 

You may experienced "No Qsys connection" when you use Nios II Flash Programmer or with "Run as/ Debug as" with "Quartus programmer" opened. 

I advise to CLOSE Quartus Programmer after using it and before launch Nios II SBT.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok I have understand that, but when i crate my hardware in Qsys I need to add an flash component, right? And if I want my software to be stored in a SDRAM on boot up i have reed something about that I need a tristate-brige to connect the flash and the SDRAM. It is that setup i do not understand.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The default bootloader copies your software from flash to RAM. It is transparant, d'ont worry about that. 

Do you need to add a flash component in QSYS ? Yes of course. 

Do you need tri-state ... in Qsys ? It depends of your board. If physically Your address and data bus are shared between RAM and FLASH then yes. 

It a bit more difficult and complex to add tristate components in Qsys. Follow Altera User Guide (.pdf) From Altera Litterature web site.
0 Kudos