Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

simple socket server at 1000M /1G link

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, I'm trying to run the NIOS II simple socket server (RGMII) template on my design (Cyclone V GX on Terasic C5G). 

I not have problems when the link run at 10 or 100M (both in DHCP or static IP) but at 1G never not works, the DHCP time out and, after that, the default IP is not reachable. 

Looking with Wireshark seems that the board sends a DHCP REQUEST and the server respond with a NACK. 

In case of 10 or 100M link, the board sends a DISCOVER and the server responds with an OFFER then the board send again a REQUEST packet and the server responds with an ACK: the DHCP transaction ended successfully. 

In case of 1000M link, the board never sends a DISCOVER command after the first REQUEST / NACK transaction but continues to send a request and the server responds with a NACK until timeout will be reached. 

My system runs with a 50MHz clock. 

Somebody know if this example runs at 1000M ? Any suggestions? 

Regards. 

Giuseppe.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Looks like the receive side isn't working properly. 

I'd try to see how far through the receive packets are getting. 

Are broadcasts received? 

Does promiscuous mode work?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Looks like the receive side isn't working properly. 

I'd try to see how far through the receive packets are getting. 

Are broadcasts received? 

Does promiscuous mode work? 

--- Quote End ---  

No... no packet are received at 1000M... 

I suppose that I need to investigate at hardware level using SignalTap....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If the packet is received, why doesn't the dhcp code like it? 

Might be worth finding that out to give you something to look for with signaltap.
0 Kudos