Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

using the same .pof file with different package MAX2 cplds

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

I have a .pof file for max2 CPLD with 256 pins: epm1270m256. I want to use the same .pof file with a similar CPLD but with a different package : epm1270f256. 

is this possible? 

I successfully programmed the epm1270m256 device with a .pof file I created for epm1270f256 device just for testing out this option (this is the opposite of my final goal but i don't have the other device right now). 

i wonder if I can be sure that the design will work properly and with the same performance if i'll program the epm1270f256 device with the .pof file that was originally created for the epm1270m256 device. 

thank you, 

michal
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is no issue programming the .pof file between epm1270m256 and epm1270f256 since the IDCODE is the same. Typically the device performance should not be depending on the device packaging whether MBGA or FBGA type. Unless if you are using a different speed grade then this might affect the timing performance. You can refer to this link: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06282006_507.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe as long as you can pass the Programmer and device is up and running, there is no issue using the same .pof file. Like what nyusof has mentioned, if there is any difference in IDCODE, the Programmer would have failed during programming.

0 Kudos