Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Setting project directory with qsys-generate

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to run qsys-generate with the qsys file in another directory. I would like qsys-generate to place the spocinfo file in the current directory. However, when it calls ip-generate to build files it passes the directory where the says file resides as the --project-directory flag. 

For example, if I invoke 

% qsys-generate otherdir/system.qsys 

Then qsys-generate will call ip-generate like this 

ip-generate --project-directory=otherdir ... 

If I invoke qsys-generate with a --project-directory= argument it doesn't complain, but it seems to ignore the argument. 

Is there any way to set the project directory from the command line or is it always set to the directory which contains the qsys file? 

Thanks, 

-Pete
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So for completeness and to answer my own question, you can't set the project directory with qsys-generate. As far as I can tell ip-generate will do everything that qsys-generate can do and gives you more control over the output files too. If anyone knows why qsys-generate even exists, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

-Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If anyone knows why qsys-generate even exists, please let me know. 

--- Quote End ---  

I suspect its for no good reason other than it has Qsys in its name ...  

Seriously, go search the latest Quartus handbook (13.1 or 14.0) for ip-generate and it does not exist (you need to go back to 13.0), yet the Qsys GUI in Quartus II 14.0 spits out messages about using ip-generate, not qsys-generate ...  

Gotta love the consistency between the tools and documentation ... 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, I opened a ticket with Altera support and they said to use qsys-generate because it is "better". But they really could not say why it was better. I asked someone I know inside Altera and he says that ip-generate is fine and will not be going away so I should use that if it does what I want. 

Thanks, 

-Pete
0 Kudos