Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Quartus 13.1 and Mentor Verification IP Altera Edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I tried to make a simulation with our Cyclone V SX SoC Design which is based on the GSRD design from rocketboards/altera. So I generate with Qsys an testbench and when I am trying to start the simulation it compiles, but the dpi load of mentor verification ip don't work. I tried it with different Questasim Versions (10.0d,10.2b,10.2c) always the same error: 

Compiling C:\Users\BERNDL~1.ORE\AppData\Local\Temp\berndl@DILL_dpi_4068\win32_gcc-4.2.1\exportwrapper.c# Loading C:\Users\BERNDL~1.ORE\AppData\Local\Temp\berndl@DILL_dpi_4068\win32_gcc-4.2.1\dpi_auto_compile.dll# Loading C:/altera/13.1/ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common_windows_10_1/questa_mvc_core/win32_gcc-4.2.1/libaxi_IN_SystemVerilog_MTI_full.dll# ** Error: (vsim-3193) Load of "C:/altera/13.1/ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common_windows_10_1/questa_mvc_core/win32_gcc-4.2.1/libaxi_IN_SystemVerilog_MTI_full.dll" failed: DLL dependent library not found.# # ** Error: (vsim-8649) Initialization function 'axi_IN_SystemVerilog_load' not found.# # ** Fatal: (vsim-3748) Failed to load DPI object file "C:/altera/13.1/ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common_windows_10_1/questa_mvc_core/win32_gcc-4.2.1/libaxi_IN_SystemVerilog_MTI_full.dll" while trying to resolve 'questa_mvc_sv_find'.# FATAL ERROR while loading design 

For the simulation I use the msim_setup.tcl script which is generated by qsys. So I don't understand why it don't works. The path is valid and this files is in the same folder as the vsim looks into and I also set the Enviroment variables right. 

Thanks for your support.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The user guides ... 

http://www.altera.com/literature/lit-ug.jsp 

Mentor Verification IP Altera Edition AMBA AXI3/4TM User Guide Apr 2014 3 MB 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/mentor_vip_axi34_ae_usr.pdf 

Mentor Verification IP Altera Edition AMBA AXI4-Lite User Guide Apr 2014 2 MB 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/mentor_vip_axi4lite_ae_usr.pdf 

Mentor Verification IP Altera Edition AMBA AXI4-Stream User Guide Apr 2014 1 MB 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/mentor_vip_axi4_stream_ae_usr.pdf 

all have "Altera Edition" in their names, not "Altera Starter Edition", so that implies you need to be using the subscription edition of the Mentor tool, not the free version. 

Were you trying with Modelsim-ASE (Altera Starter Edition), or Modelsim-SE (Mentor's full version)? 

I need to perform some SoC simulations soon, so I'm interested in figuring this out too. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We have quartus 13.1 subscription edition and a full questasim license
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

We have quartus 13.1 subscription edition and a full questasim license 

--- Quote End ---  

I suspect the problem is that the BFM license applies to "Modelsim-Altera Edition", which reads the Altera license.dat, whereas the Mentor Questa license will be read from whatever server is managing your Mentor licenses. What is probably needed is a modified Questa license file that enables the AXI BFM. 

Can you please file a Service Request directly with Altera (this forum is run by users, not by Altera). 

I have a Quartus subscription edition, and a Mentor tools license, so I'm going to have the same problem as you. Please post Altera's response when you get it. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

PS. I just filed a Service Request too. I'll post the response I receive when I get it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's the response from Altera; 

--- Quote Start ---  

You need to get the Modelsim-Altera Edition AXI BFM license from Altera. That means you need to contact your local sales office to purchase Quartus II Subscription Edition. You can’t get this license from Mentor because this is an OEM product. We are the only one that sells it. 

--- Quote End ---  

So, the problem you and I are both have, is that we are using a version of Modelsim directly from Mentor, but the Altera AXI BFMs only work with the OEM "Altera Edition". I find that pretty annoying. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I thought you have the Quartus II Subscription Edition ? Is the Mentor VIP not included into the Quartus II Subscription Edition???? 

I filled the service request two days ago, but no answer up to now 

Kr, 

Florian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Florian, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I thought you have the Quartus II Subscription Edition ? Is the Mentor VIP not included into the Quartus II Subscription Edition???? 

--- Quote End ---  

I have the Quartus II Subscription Edition as provided by the Altera University Program. Unfortunately (for me) that license does not include support for "Modelsim-Altera Edition" or for the AXI BFMs. 

According to the Service Request, you can buy IPS-AXIBFM to add support. However, searching for that part number on Altera and on Altera's "Buy" link does not provide any pricing information. This thread has more comments/complaints; 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42038 

SR Update:  

--- Quote Start ---  

The AXIBFM IP license is independent of simulators. For example, you can simulate with Modelsim-SE, or VCS using AXI BFM altera license 

--- Quote End ---  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos