Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Stratix IV GX Programmer failure to download

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Board:Stratix IV GX A/V Dev Board 

Problem: The programmer fails to download the hdl from the Programmer window. i.e., it shows the presence of USB Blaster but doesnt download the program. "Download Failed" message flashes in that window. 

But when I use the Signal Tap tool Programmer ,it downloads the sof file successfully. 

"is it possible to download the sof file from the main programmer for the stratix iv gx board, if yes what are configuration settings kindly include the steps." 

PS:I had setup the factory setting on the dip switches both on the front and back of the board to download the code via usb blaster, yet it doesnt download the file. 

Thanks for all kinds of suggestion and replies. 

Regards, 

Sriram
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By 'The programmer fails' I assume you're referring to the Quartus Programmer. Also, rather than trying 'to download the hdl' you are pointing the programmer at the relevant .sof :) 

Assuming the above is the case - do you have other USB-Blasters in use? In the Quartus Programmer, click on the 'Hardware Setup...' button and ensure you're trying to program via the right programming hardware - the one onboard the development board. Also make sure the programming 'Mode:' is set to 'JTAG'. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it possible to download the sof file from the main programmer for the Stratix IV GX board... 

--- Quote End ---  

By this, do you mean the 'Board Test System' that comes with the kit? No, you can't program your image into the FPGA from this software. 

It doesn't look like programming the FPGA in this kit depends on jumper and switch settings. The only guidance given - make sure you've looked at it - is the 'Configuring the FPGA Using the Quartus II Programmer' section - page 6-27 - of the user guide. 

You could try an external USB-Blaster (via connector J8), but given you say it works via SignalTap it doesn't sound like this is necessary. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Alex, Thanks for the reply. 

Yes the programmer i am referring is the "quartus programmer" and downloading the hdl i mean the ".sof file". 

I do have a single USB blaster in use, indeed it is in JTAG programming mode. 

And no I didnt mean to download the "Board Test System" .sof file, but my design .sof file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a couple of Stratix IV kits, and to "distinguish" them (to stop me downloading the wrong images to the pair), I've left one in two device JTAG chain mode (with the MAX II in the JTAG chain too), and the other in single device JTAG mode. 

Perhaps your SignalTapII chain setup is correct, but your programmer is not. Select "Auto Detect" in the programmer and see ... 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Fortunately, my inconvenience was solved. 

It was my routine to open the Quartus Programmer and directly click the start button after selecting the .sof file after the detection of the USB Blaster. It holds good for the Cyclone III device.But not for the Stratix IV GX A/V Dev Board. 

Fix: 

i). For a change i deleted the existing .sof file from the window 

ii). Clicked the Auto Detect Button to check the jtag chain status. "Was present" 

iii) Selected the EPM device. 

iv) Added my project.sof file to the GX device and deleted another instance of the GX device and clicked the Start Button. 

Bingo!! The .sof file successfully downloaded via Quartus Programmer. 

Thank you so much Alex and Dave for your patience. Much appreciated! 

Altera Gurus! :cool:
0 Kudos