Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Error about library path of Simulation Waveform Editor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am using simulation waveform editor (Altera Quartus II 64-Bit 14.0 Web Edition) to simulate a simple RS latch with verilog as follows. 

--------------------------------------------------- 

module rs_latch (Clk, R, S, Q); 

input Clk, R, S; 

output Q; 

wire R_g, S_g, Qa, Qb; 

and(R_g, R, Clk); 

and(S_g, S, Clk); 

nor(Qa, R_g, Qb); 

nor(Qb, S_g, Qa); 

assign Q = Qa; 

endmodule 

--------------------------------------------------- 

The input setup of RS latch simulation in simulation waveform editor is as attachment. 

And when I use "Run Functional Simulation" or "Run Timing Simulation", it would start to run a series processes, and I would get a error message as follows. 

(only list part of error message because of the characters number limitation in this forum.) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Determining the location of the ModelSim executable... 

Using: C:\altera\14.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem 

To specify a ModelSim executable directory, select: Tools -> Options -> EDA Tool Options 

Note: if both ModelSim-Altera and ModelSim executables are available, ModelSim-Altera will be used. 

**** Generating the ModelSim Testbench **** 

quartus_eda --gen_testbench --check_outputs=on --tool=modelsim_oem --format=verilog rs_latch -c rs_latch --vector_source="D:/FPGA/Lab03/Part1_RSLatch/rs_latch.vwf" --testbench_file="D:/FPGA/Lab03/Part1_RSLatch/simulation/qsim/rs_latch.vwf.vt" 

Info: ******************************************************************* 

Info: Running Quartus II 64-Bit EDA Netlist Writer 

Completed successfully.  

Completed successfully.  

**** Generating the functional simulation netlist **** 

quartus_eda --functional=on --flatten_buses=off --simulation --tool=modelsim_oem --format=verilog --output_directory="D:/FPGA/Lab03/Part1_RSLatch/simulation/qsim/" rs_latch -c rs_latch 

Info: ******************************************************************* 

Info: Running Quartus II 64-Bit EDA Netlist Writer 

Completed successfully.  

**** Generating the ModelSim .do script **** 

D:/FPGA/Lab03/Part1_RSLatch/simulation/qsim/rs_latch.do generated. 

Completed successfully.  

**** Running the ModelSim simulation **** 

C:/altera/14.0/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/vsim -c -do rs_latch.do 

Reading C:/altera/14.0/modelsim_ase/tcl/vsim/pref.tcl  

# 10.1e 

# do rs_latch.do # ** Warning: (vlib-34) Library already exists at "work".# # Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vlog 10.1e Compiler 2013.06 Jun 12 2013# -- Compiling module rs_latch 

# # Top level modules:# rs_latch# Model Technology ModelSim ALTERA vlog 10.1e Compiler 2013.06 Jun 12 2013# -- Compiling module rs_latch_vlg_sample_tst 

# -- Compiling module rs_latch_vlg_check_tst 

# -- Compiling module rs_latch_vlg_vec_tst# # Top level modules:# rs_latch_vlg_vec_tst 

# vsim -L cyclonev_ver -L altera_ver -L altera_mf_ver -L 220model_ver -L sgate_ver -L altera_lnsim_ver -c -voptargs=\"+acc\" -t 1ps -novopt work.rs_latch_vlg_vec_tst # Loading work.rs_latch_vlg_vec_tst# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'cyclonev_ver' at "cyclonev_ver". 

#  

# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT) 

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'altera_ver' at "altera_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'altera_mf_ver' at "altera_mf_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library '220model_ver' at "220model_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'sgate_ver' at "sgate_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'altera_lnsim_ver' at "altera_lnsim_ver". 

#  

# Loading work.rs_latch 

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'cyclonev_ver' at "cyclonev_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'altera_ver' at "altera_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'altera_mf_ver' at "altera_mf_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library '220model_ver' at "220model_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'sgate_ver' at "sgate_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'altera_lnsim_ver' at "altera_lnsim_ver". 

#  

# ** Error: (vsim-3033) rs_latch.vo(76): Instantiation of 'cyclonev_io_obuf' failed. The design unit was not found. 

#  

# Region: /rs_latch_vlg_vec_tst/i1 

# Searched libraries: 

# ** Error: (vsim-19) Failed to access library 'cyclonev_ver' at "cyclonev_ver". 

#  

# Loading work.rs_latch_vlg_check_tst 

# Error loading design 

Error loading design 

Error.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

By the message, I think when it links to the library, it can not search the correct library path. 

I know it links to the library by the "modelsim.ini" in the path "C:\altera\14.0\modelsim_ase\", and part content of "modelsim.ini" is as follows. 

---------------------------------------------------------------- 

altera_mf = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/altera_mf 

altera = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/altera 

altera_lnsim = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/altera_lnsim 

lpm = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/220model 

220model = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/220model 

maxii = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/maxii 

maxv = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/maxv 

fiftyfivenm = $MODEL_TECH/../altera/vhdl/fiftyfivenm 

---------------------------------------------------------------- 

I have tried all possible setting about the library path, but I still can't solve this problem. 

Can someone help me to solve this problem or tell me how can I correctly link simulator to the library path? 

Or did I miss some important steps here? 

Look forwarding to your help.  

Thank you very much!!!!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you solve this problem? I meet this too, how do solve it ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The following instructions are for users who have the Mentor Graphics ModelSim DE 10.5c version installed (Note this is NOT the free Altera version). 

The instructions should apply if you have other versions of ModelSim and/or Questa. Also, this was tested with Quartus Prime 16.0 version 

1. Make sure to specify the ModelSim simulator path under "Tools -> Options -> EDA Tools Options" 

2. Compile the simulation library for ModelSim using "Tools -> Launch EDA Simulation Library Compiler" and specify settings... 

3. Copy the "modelsim.ini" file to the "..\simulation\qsim" directory 

4. Add under the "[Library]" section the followings: 

[Library] 

... blah... blah... blah... 

cyclones_ver = C:/{Path_to_compiled_ModelSim_Simulation_library}/cyclonev_ver 

altera_ver = C:/{same as above}/altera_ver 

... (add more here)... 

Note that the above paths use "forward" slash (from Windows 10) and not "backward" slash. Also the path is from step 2 above 

Once you do this the simulation will run in the Native Quartus Prime environment. You can also take the *.do file and the test bench and run stand alone in Modelsim outside of Quartus.
0 Kudos