Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

march=prototype?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there is a video on the altera site where prototyping is demonstrated. This would be very useful, is it going to be available sometime soon?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Would you care to post a link to the video? I'm not sure to know what you are talking about.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

only direct link I can give is here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wtyiy5hao 

found that through this page, see rapid prototyping 

http://www.altera.com/products/software/opencl/opencl-index.html#demonstrations
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is quite interesting, thanks for sharing. 

Additionally to your question, what kind of effect does rapid prototyping have on the performance and resource usage compared to a traditional compilation? 

Edit: I guess it's going to be available in the next software release. I was told by a support representative that the "14.1 beta version is targeted to be released in November."
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for asking someone at Altera. I assume that it uses resources and isn't quite as fast, but the real effect probably depends on the algorithm involved. 

I just found out that the power settings would turn it off mid-compile unless I was actively doing something on the computer, so now my compile performance is much better
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From my research and speaking with Altera, this feature is functional in 14.0. Whether or not you can use it is based on your BSP. I am currently using Bittware and it doesn't appear to be leveraged. I was told by an Altera representative that I would either have to request it to be enabled in Bittwares BSP or go through the steps starting on 10-18 of the custom platform guide.  

I am currently waiting to hear back from Bittware. I also tried generating the libraries myself according the the guide but have yet to be successful even though the steps are pretty simple.  

Does anybody have any experience with this or getting the rapid prototyping to work on 14.0? 

Thanks,  

Rudy 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/ug_aocl_custom_platform_toolkit.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for looking into this. Studying the custom platform docs is on my todo list.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just noticed that the "Generating the Rapid Prototyping Library" section is removed from the "ug_aocl_custom_platform_toolkit.pdf" document since version 14.1. Is this feature deprecated? If so does anybody know why? Seems to be a quite helpful feature since compilation normally takes hours...

0 Kudos