Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Transceiver placement issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there any guru who can help to place more than one transceivers in one GXB block? 

I tried to design two 2 channel transceivers in one GXB block that has 4 channels. Quartus II fitter always fails to place them with following error message, 

Error (167005): Can't assign I/O pad "gxb_tx6" to PIN_H4 because this causes failure in the placement of the other atoms in its associated channel 

Error (167009): Quartus II software cannot combine the following GXB Central control unit(s) due to inconsistent parameters and/or input connections 

Error (21087): Input port "DPRIOIN" must be driven by the same source 

Info (21090): Atom "cyclone4gx_2ch:inst1|c4gx_2ch:c4gx_2ch_inst|c4gx_2ch_alt_c3gxb:c4gx_2ch_alt_c3gxb_component|cent_unit0" is driven by source "cyclone4gx_2ch:inst1|altgx_reconfig:altgx_reconfig_inst|altgx_reconfig_alt_c3gxb_reconfig_1801:altgx_reconfig_alt_c3gxb_reconfig_1801_component|altgx_reconfig_alt_dprio_v5k:dprio|dprioin~1" 

Info (21090): Atom "cyclone4gx_2ch:inst2|c4gx_2ch:c4gx_2ch_inst|c4gx_2ch_alt_c3gxb:c4gx_2ch_alt_c3gxb_component|cent_unit0" is driven by source "cyclone4gx_2ch:inst2|altgx_reconfig:altgx_reconfig_inst|altgx_reconfig_alt_c3gxb_reconfig_1801:altgx_reconfig_alt_c3gxb_reconfig_1801_component|altgx_reconfig_alt_dprio_v5k:dprio|dprioin~1" 

it looks like i violate the law that only one reconfig instance could be designed for one block. But when removed one it still says error. and here is the message, 

Critical Warning (167080): GXB Central Management Unit (CMU) cyclone4gx_2ch:inst|c4gx_2ch_nb:c4gx_2ch_nb_inst|c4gx_2ch_nb_alt_c3gxb:c4gx_2ch_nb_alt_c3gxb_component|cent_unit0 is not connected to a GXB reconfig logic block, but the RX offset cancellation feature requires that it must be 

Is there any design example which places more than one independent transceiver in one GXB block? 

Appreciated! 

Yaoting
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe you are creating two ALTGX instances and fit them into one XCVR bank. You could share a single reconfig instance between the two ALTGX instances to see if can pass Fitter. Note that the the ALTGX instances still operate independent even though they are sharing one reconfig instance.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can find how to connect one ALTGX_RECONFIG to two ALTGX instances in this free on-line course. (Slide# 36 -# 40) 

http://wl.altera.com/education/training/courses/osiv1110
0 Kudos