Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Remote image Upgrade using SGMII interface on Cyclone IV image with Serial Flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am planing to use Cyclone IV device in my new design. 

I would like to know what are the minimum hardware required to use Remote Image upgrade feature using Serial Flash and is it possible to upgrade using SGMII interface? 

Thanks 

Narendra
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you have a nios2 and also an epcs controller peripheral IP instantiated in the design then this is probably only an issue of writing the necessary software. Altera provides some libraries for writing the serial flash via the epcs controller from software. There _are_ some details that must be worked out for determining the correct offset after the sof to write so the altera boot loader will find the elf image.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you have a nios2 and also an epcs controller peripheral IP instantiated in the design then this is probably only an issue of writing the necessary software. Altera provides some libraries for writing the serial flash via the epcs controller from software. There _are_ some details that must be worked out for determining the correct offset after the sof to write so the altera boot loader will find the elf image. 

--- Quote End ---  

Can we interface the SGMII interface to nios2 core or is there any other way to talk to the processor?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Altera Avalon TSE MAC IP could be used to interface the SGMII to the nios2. Altera provides some example nios2 Ethernet designs on their website. The elf2flash command line program along with the -after option can be used to determine the proper alignment of the elf image after the sof image.

0 Kudos