Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

ModelSim licensing problems after installing Opal Kelly license

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a problem with my Quartus II installation, specifically that the ModelSim Altera starter edtion will not start, complaining about "Unable to checkout a license". 

The thing is, I am using a development board from Opal Kelly (ZEM4310), which comes with some IP blocks that requires a license to be installed in Quartus II. 

Installing this license seems to break the licensing for ModelSim for some reason. 

I have tried removing the license file, but this does not help, I still have the same problem. 

I am not sure if there is a specific way a license should be removed, I have tried to remove the file in the Licensing setup dialog, and also actually deleting the file from my hard drive, but none of that helps. 

I am using Quartus II 14.1 on Windows 7. 

Ideas are welcome...
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

are you opening modelsim through quartus? What is your path set to for modelsim (tools=>options=>EDA Tool Options)? When you open modelsim does the modelsim splash screen appear? does it say modelsim altera edition or modelsim altera starter edition? 

Essentially I installed 14.1 and found that modelsim altera starter edition didnt seem to get installed just modelsim altera edition in both folders which requires a license, not found a fix yet other than using the path to a previous quartus install...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried running it both from within Quartus II and outside of, both have the same behavior. 

Actually, I did not try it before I installed the Opal Kelly license, I just assumed it was the license that I set up that broke it :) 

The path is set to C:\altera\14.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem 

The splash says ModelSim Altera 10.3c 

On Alteras webpage "ModelSim Altera" and "ModelSim Altera Starter Edition" is the same download though, which I interpret as it will run as the starter edition in case you do not have a license. 

I have no other Quartus II install on my computer, but perhaps I should try to install an older version of just ModelSim...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok it sounds like your having the same problem I did, I tried the two exe files in the modelsim_ase and modelsim_ae folders in 14.1 and they both opened modelsim altera 10.3c like you did, when i tried the same test using the folders in 14.0 the modelsim_ae opened modelsim altera and modelsim_ase opened the modelsim altera starter edition.  

Perhaps installing 14.0 would be a quick fix. I havent opened a service request yet as I had downloaded 14.1 as individual files and was going to try that. (origionally I downloaded the whole thing as a tar from the downloads section).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have a problem with my Quartus II installation, specifically that the ModelSim Altera starter edtion will not start, complaining about "Unable to checkout a license". 

I am using Quartus II 14.1 on Windows 7. 

Ideas are welcome... 

--- Quote End ---  

A few days ago when I installed 14.1 under Windows 7, there was a patch for Modelsim on the 14.1 download page. That patch is no longer there. I assume that means the download now has the patch integrated into it. 

Try downloading and reinstalling the software. If that does not work, let me know, and I'll see if I kept a copy of the patch. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did download that patch a couple of days ago also...? 

Anyway, now I downloaded the current installation file for ModelSim 14.1 only (i.e. without Quartus II) and installed it again, and now it works! 

Thank you both!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's the link to the patch, in case anyone else need it: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd01122015_819.html
0 Kudos