Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

The eclipse-nios2 won't start.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

https://www.kth.se/social/files/54bce182f2765407d5cb1bf5/Sk%C3%A4rmavbild+2015-01-19+kl.+11.47.46_large.png  

The eclipse-nios2 won't start in Quartus ii version 13.0sp1 installed in Ubuntu 14.04. 

as in the picture when i start the nios2-command_shell from the terminal and then try to open eclipse-nios2 it won't start and nothing shows up. any suggestion?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

u need to run this code in your terminal. 

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe is time to go for latest 15.0 version already...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 

--- Quote End ---  

This worked for me thanks !
0 Kudos
FZigu
Novice

I have the same issue here, but on a windows machine. How do I solve it??

0 Kudos
druva1
New Contributor I

where you able to fix this ?

0 Kudos
FZigu
Novice

No!! I threw everything I had at it!! Reinstalled Java, Quartus, Eclipse, nothing! Eclipse won't start as admin even when run from its own folder. When running eclipsec-nios2.exe from the command line (again, as admin), it gives the following message:

C:\intelFPGA_lite\19.1\nios2eds\bin>eclipsec-nios2

Error - failed to launch '"C:/intelfpga_lite/19.1/nios2eds/bin/eclipse_nios2/eclipsec.exe" "-pluginCustomization" "C:/intelfpga_lite/19.1/nios2eds/bin/eclipse_nios2/plugin_customization.ini" "-vm" "C:/intelfpga_lite/19.1/quartus//bin64/jre64/bin/java.exe"

Both files indicated exist. Whatever is happening inside them is failing and I can't figure this out!! Why, Intel, WHY would you use such a shaky platform to build your tools?? I'm going crazy!

Like, literally, what I want to do with my FPGA I have to figure out how to do it in Verilog now. Grrrr!!

0 Kudos
druva1
New Contributor I

Same, I even factory reset my PC and reinstall Java, Eclipse and Quartus and still the eclipse nios wont start. It is quite frustrating -_-

0 Kudos
druva1
New Contributor I

So It finally works for me, I had to downgrade Quartus 18.1 version and now it works, I hope this helps you too.

FZigu
Novice

YES! It works! I installed Quartus 16.0 just to be sure.

This is why no one wants new, updated software!!

Thanks druva1, we are in this together!!

Rick1
Beginner

I am also having this problem with 20.1, it just won't start, it quits immediately. I was trying to upgrade from 18.1. Not sure if it is related but apparently Intel switched from Cygwin to wsl. It tool me an hour to get the nios ii console running, you first have to install wsl, then ubuntu and then several apt-get packages. Only to find out that although the nios console works, eclipse-nios2 still doesn't. This is a real dependency hell.

0 Kudos