Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Special case of accessing ddr2 ram (constraining issue)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi to everyone, 

my question is all about the proper constraining in my special case of accessing ddr2 external ram. 

First of all some general information. I had to design my own ddr2 memory controller for two reasons: 

1. In our hardware I'm not able to use the strobe clock coming from the external memory for latching the data into the FPGA (I don't have access to the DLL for proper phase alignment). 

2. For the lack of space. 

This controller works with three clocks, all with different phase shifts (generated with one PLL): 

1. control clock (0 degree phase shift later referred to as pil_memClk) 

2. read clock (241.9 degree phase shift later referred to as pil_memRdClk. This clock phase is dynamically adjustable.) 

3. write clock (270 degree phase shift later referred to as pil_memWrClk) 

To handle this issue, I use the internal pil_memClk to latch the data coming from the external memory. The important VHDL code looks like this: 

-- this is the memory clock p creation with a ddr component inst_memClk_p : memClk_ddr port map(datain_h => "1", datain_l => "0", outclock => pil_memRdClk, dataout => pov_clk_p); -- this is the memory clock n creation with a ddr component inst_memClk_n : memClk_ddr port map(datain_h => "0", datain_l => "1", outclock => pil_memRdClk, dataout => pov_clk_n); -- this is the ddr component for writing and reading the memory data inst_memDq_ddr : memDq_ddr port map(datain_h => sv_memWriteData(63 downto 32), datain_l => sv_memWriteData(31 downto 0), inclock => pil_memClk, oe => sl_memDirection, outclock => pil_memWrClk, dataout_h => sv_memReadData(31 downto 0), dataout_l => sv_memReadData(63 downto 32), padio => pbv_data); -- this is the memory strobe creation with a ddr component for writing data into the memory inst_memDqs_ddr : memDqs_ddr port map(datain_h => "1111", datain_l => "0000", inclock => '0', oe => sl_memDirection, outclock => pil_memClk, dataout_h => open, dataout_l => open, padio => pbv_dataStrobe);  

The sdc commands I made look like this: 

set ctlClk inst2|pllmemclk_inst|altera_pll_i|cyclonev_pll|counter.output_counter|divclk set writeClk inst2|pllmemclk_inst|altera_pll_i|cyclonev_pll|counter.output_counter|divclk set readClk inst2|pllmemclk_inst|altera_pll_i|cyclonev_pll|counter.output_counter|divclk create_generated_clock -name memOutClk_p -source $readClk ] create_generated_clock -name memStrobe -source $ctlClk ] set t(DS) 0.480 set t(DH) 0.480 set t(IS) 0.900 set t(IH) 0.900 set t(skew) 0.400 set_output_delay -clock memStrobe -max $t(DS) ] set_output_delay -clock memStrobe -min -$t(DH) ] set_output_delay -clock_fall -clock memStrobe -max $t(DS) ] -add_delay set_output_delay -clock_fall -clock memStrobe -min -$t(DH) ] -add_delay set_output_delay -clock memOutClk_p -max $t(IS) mem_ba mem_cke mem_cs_n mem_ras_n mem_cas_n mem_we_n}] set_output_delay -clock memOutClk_p -min -$t(IH) mem_ba mem_cke mem_cs_n mem_ras_n mem_cas_n mem_we_n}] set_input_delay -clock $ctlClk -max $t(skew) ] set_input_delay -clock $ctlClk -min -$t(skew) ] set_input_delay -clock $ctlClk -clock_fall -max $t(skew) ] -add_delay set_input_delay -clock $ctlClk -clock_fall -min -$t(skew) ] -add_delay set_multicycle_path -from $writeClk -to memStrobe -setup 2 set_multicycle_path -from $writeClk -to memStrobe -hold 1 set_false_path -from -to *  

As a result I sometimes get a functioning design. But if I change something which has nothing to do with the memory controller (like adding a debug pin), it is most likely it's not working anymore. 

This is the point which makes me thinking that I made the wrong/incomplete timing constraints for this case of interfacing memory. 

What constraints do I have to make for this special case? I would appreciate every hint because I haven't found any example design which deals with this kind of thing. 

Thanks, 

Michael
0 Kudos
0 Replies