Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Assign DDR2 pins after creating a NIOS II project (DE2-530, QII V14, UniPHY)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The process of assigning pins can be a very hard task and specially if pseudo-differential buses (DQS and CK) are created. I was able to complete this task with success after several hour trying to solve this issue. 

Procedure: 

1) After creating the NIOS II project as described in the DE4 user manual (pg. 128 to 131) include *.sdc and *.qip files to the project and define the *.qip as top entity. 

2) run Analysis and Synthesis; 

3) !VERY IMPORTANT! open the pin planer and manually assign the pins. 

4) !VERY IMPORTANT! run the TCL script *_mem_if_ddr2_emif_p0_pin_assigments.tcl 

5) Verify if the I/O standard SSTL-18 Class I is selected for the clock (if use the dedicated clock to bank 3) , ddr2_i2c_scl_* and ddr2_i2c_sda_*. 

6) !VERY IMPORTANT! Delete the incremental_db folder inside the project folder. 

7) Compile the project. 

If the issue persists do the following procedure: 

1) Open the Assignments Editor on the Assignments menu and leave only assignments related to pin location and I/O standard SSTL-18 Class I selection for the clock (if use the dedicated clock to bank 3) , ddr2_i2c_scl_* and ddr2_i2c_sda_* (check attached file) 

2) run the TCL script *_mem_if_ddr2_emif_p0_pin_assigments.tcl  

3) Delete the incremental_db folder inside the project folder. 

4) Compile the project. 

Drop me an e-mail if you have any further questions (pedrmachado@gmail.com). 

Regards, 

Pedro Machado
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The full project can be found here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0b-v80y2dsbz2quntb3vfz01hmwm/view?usp=sharing

Details: Quartus II version: 14.0.0.200 

Platform: Terasic DE4-530
0 Kudos