Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Attempt to view AOCL profile info results in java NullPointerException

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I started working with Altera OpenCL a few weeks ago and I am still trying to get familiar with the collection of tools provided with the Altera SDK for OpenCL. 

Right now, I am having trouble to get the AOCL profile information viewer up and running as any attempt to launch it results into the following error: 

"Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException". 

Any idea on how to get rid of this exception?:( 

The system I am currently using runs Windows 7 (64-bits) and has a Stratix V FPGA board connected via PCIe. 

Also, I am working with Altera SDK for OpenCL v14.0.2.209 and the application I used is the JPEG Decoder Design Example provided by Altera: 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/opencl/jpeg-decoder.html 

Here is a description of steps I went through: 

- Compiled the jpeg_decoder.cl kernel to obtain the .aocx file including profiling instrumentation 

Command: "aoc --profile -v --board s5phq_d5 device/jpeg_decoder.cl -o bin/jpeg_decoder.aocx" 

- Imported the Visual Studio project to VS2013 and built it to obtain the jpeg_decoder.exe executable (copied to bin directory) 

- Ran the application to generate the profile.mon file 

Command: "jpeg_decoder.exe 1.jpeg 1.ppm" 

- Invoked the AOCL profile information viewer 

Command: "aocl report jpeg_decoder.aocx profile.mon" 

Attached is a screenshot of the actual error message. 

Thanks!:) 

David
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the report. I will try to replicate the issue. 

There were a couple of profiler bugs that were fixed in 14.1; this may be one of them. I recommend updating, if possible.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Outku, 

Thanks for the reply and for your advice. 

Actually, I have contacted Altera's support yesterday and they suggested the same: a clean install of Quartus 14.1, which I did. 

Unfortunately, tough the error message changes slightly, the problem seems to remain (c.f. screenshot attached). 

By the way, support member pointed out that environment variables needed to be set correctly, which I checked successfully (ALTERAOCLSDKROOT, QSYS_ROOTDIR and QUARTUS_ROOTDIR). 

David
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Outku, 

Thanks for the reply and for your advice. 

Actually, I have contacted Altera's support yesterday and they suggested the same: a clean install of Quartus 14.1, which I did. 

Unfortunately, tough the error message changes slightly, the problem seems to remain (c.f. screenshot attached). 

By the way, support member pointed out that environment variables needed to be set correctly, which I checked successfully (ALTERAOCLSDKROOT, QSYS_ROOTDIR and QUARTUS_ROOTDIR). 

David 

--- Quote End ---  

did you try to rebuild .aocx and rerun the host to produce profile.mon with 14.1? Or, did you just do "aocl report" with the 14.1 using your 14.0 old files? 

I tried the jpeg_decoder here with 14.1 and the profiler works as expected.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

did you try to rebuild .aocx and rerun the host to produce profile.mon with 14.1? Or, did you just do "aocl report" with the 14.1 using your 14.0 old files? 

I tried the jpeg_decoder here with 14.1 and the profiler works as expected. 

--- Quote End ---  

Good thing that you mentioned it! Actually, I have not rebuilt the .aocx using 14.1. I only re-used the .aocx and profile.mon I originally obtained using 14.0. 

I will try that as soon as I can and keep you updated on the result. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried to correct a typo on the original post I wrote in this thread but saving the changes I made completely deleted it! Sorry... 

Here is what I wrote in my original post: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all, 

I started working with Altera OpenCL a few weeks ago and I am still trying to get familiar with the collection of tools provided with the Altera SDK for OpenCL. 

Right now, I am having trouble to get the AOCL profile information viewer up and running as any attempt to launch it results into the following error: 

"Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException". 

Any idea on how to get rid of this exception? 

The system I am currently using runs Windows 7 (64-bits) and has a Stratix V FPGA board connected via PCIe. 

Also, I am working with Altera SDK for OpenCL v14.0.2.209 and the application I used is the JPEG Decoder Design Example provided by Altera: 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/opencl/jpeg-decoder.html 

Here is a description of steps I went through: 

- Compiled the jpeg_decoder.cl kernel to obtain the .aocx file including profiling instrumentation 

Command: "aoc --profile -v --board s5phq_d5 device/jpeg_decoder.cl -o bin/jpeg_decoder.aocx" 

- Imported the Visual Studio project to VS2013 and built it to obtain the jpeg_decoder.exe executable (copied to bin directory) 

- Ran the application to generate the profile.mon file 

Command: "jpeg_decoder.exe 1.jpeg 1.ppm" 

- Invoked the AOCL profile information viewer 

Command: "aocl report jpeg_decoder.aocx profile.mon" 

Attached is a screenshot of the actual error message. 

Thanks! 

David 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos