Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Getting Actual Support From Altera

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

Does anyone know how to actually reach someone from Altera technical support to speak with? I have an account, but for some reason I am not eligible to file service requests and my emails to update my company contact information (if that is the problem, Altera only offers this one choice as a way to update eligibility) is not being responded to. My company has a maintenance subscription that is due to expire, and I don't have access to the license activation code. I need to get in touch with someone to figure out how to renew this and how to get the information required so I can properly document it for the future. I've sent several email requests to their technical service, and called every phone number I can find (only to be directed to an operator who I am starting to think is a parrot who only knows the phrase "I'm not with Altera technical, I'm just an operator".  

Does anyone else have experience with this type of problem? I fully admit that this may be my own fault for not being experienced enough with this company to correctly find the relevant information, but at this point I'm at my wit's end looking for it. Altera's technical support has always been essentially non-existent, but this is ridiculous, I'm trying to send them money for crying out loud! It's enough to get the company to make the switch to Xilinx if we can't get any help (don't know if they're any better but I'm starting to think they can't be any worse).
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm trying to send them money for crying out loud! 

--- Quote End ---  

Technically you don't actually buy stuff directly from Altera, you buy via a distributor. 

I'd recommend contacting an Altera distributor. For example, given your problem, I would talk to my Arrow FAE, who would in turn get me in touch with an Arrow-Altera FAE. They would be the people to setup a quote for the tools license. They would also be the people to get answers from their Altera contacts for any questions that they could not answer. 

I recently had to purchase the AXI BFM licenses, and it was Arrow that did all the work, rather than Altera's Service Request interface. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ABierman1986, 

Like what Dave have mentioned, I believe you should directly get in touch with the distributor that you buy the chip from to get prompt response. If there is any info needed from Altera, they will be able to file service request to Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe it shouldn't be an issue to submit a service request to Altera if you have a valid email from any register company else the best way to solve your issue is through your local distributor

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, i think you better get in touch with your local distributor. But why can't you submit a service request? I always thought anyone can submit one as long you've provided all the information needed from Altera (provide company information etc)

0 Kudos