Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Cyclone 5 - Remote update

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I try to implement a Design with remote update feature. 

Cyclone 5 

EPCS64 

Active Serial 

If I program a jic file with two configuration images into the flash (USB-Blaster) and trigger the reconfiguration everything works. I can switch the images. 

The next step is that the user image gets the update data over a proprietary interface and writes it into the epcs device. 

Writing the device with alt_asmi works well. 

now i came to a simple but fundamental problem. which file could be used to be downloaded over the proprietary interface and written into the epcs device at a specific address? 

I tried to program the flash with a jic file (USB-Blaster) and then read out the content of the flash. No file generated by Quartus seems to be equal to the flash content. 

Does anybody know which file is used for a remote update? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can e.g. use the hexout file generated by Quartus. But there's a problem of altremote_update IP if you activate the CRC check ("check_app_pof") option. So I'm using the *.jic file with the header stripped.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You should use .rpd file which is supported in ASx1/x4 configuration scheme. Since RSU is supported in ASx1/x4 configuration scheme, then you should be using .rpd file. The .rpd file is a binary file for EPCQ/EPCS devices containing a binary bitstream of configuration data for FPGAs that support Active Serial configuration. Thus the .rpd file is equivalent to the contents in .jic and .pof file without the header. You can refer to the following solution link:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd11182013_802.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to know if the alt_asmi IP can write the bitstream file to Configuration memory. 

In the document of ALTASMI_PARALLEL IP https://www.altera.com.cn/content/dam/altera-www/global/zh_cn/pdfs/literature/ug/mfug_asmi.pdf, the auther wrote that "You can use the ALTASMI_PARALLEL megafunction to access the general purpose memory portion of the EPCS devices".  

Thanks!
0 Kudos