Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Problem with fifo API (How to use fifo correctly)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good day! I collect my system using: nios nco, fir and cic filters. In my case I use dsp-processor for control nco. NCO require AvST bridge, so I decided to use fifo between nios and nco. 

First, I decided to make such system: NIOS, which store code frequency for nco (32 bits word), when fifo (I use it like a bridge AvMM-AvST) and second fifo (as bridge AvST-AvMM). In this system I want to write one word to fifo and read it, but have some problems and also simulate it in Modelsim. 

But I have some problem - you can see my word didn't read/write via fifo. I suggest there are some problem in the code - may be I didn't adjust fifo correctly. 

I use fifo's API: 

1) altera_avalon_fifo_init – init fifo 

2) altera_avalon_fifo_write_fifo – write to fifo 

3) altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo – read from fifo 

My code: 

/* * main.c * * Created on: 26.02.2015 * Author: Roman */ //Includes# include "io.h"# include "altera_avalon_fifo_regs.h"# include "altera_avalon_fifo_util.h"# include "system.h"# include "sys/alt_irq.h"# include <stdio.h># include <stdlib.h># define ALMOST_EMPTY 2# define ALMOST_FULL FIFO_0_IN_CSR_FIFO_DEPTH-3 int main(){ //reset the fifo's irq history register altera_avalon_fifo_clear_event(FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE, ALTERA_AVALON_FIFO_EVENT_ALL); //First FIFO (AvMM - AvST) int b = 0xab; //initializes the FIFO wr altera_avalon_fifo_init(FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the FIFO control slave 0, //the value to write to the interruptenable register ALMOST_EMPTY, //the value for the almost empty threshold (&#1087;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1075;) level ALMOST_FULL); //the value for the most full threshold level //write a, b into fifo altera_avalon_fifo_write_fifo(FIFO_0_IN_BASE, //the base address of the fifo write slave FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the fifo control slave b); //value to write to address //read a,b from fifo altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo(FIFO_0_IN_BASE, //the base address of the fifo read slave FIFO_0_IN_CSR_BASE); //the base address of the fifo control slave //Second FIFO (AvST - AvMM) //initializes the FIFO e = altera_avalon_fifo_init(FIFO_1_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the FIFO control slave 0, //the value to write to the interruptenable register ALMOST_EMPTY, //the value for the almost empty threshold (&#1087;&#1086;&#1088;&#1086;&#1075;) level ALMOST_FULL); //the value for the most full threshold level //write d into fifo g = altera_avalon_fifo_write_fifo(FIFO_1_OUT_BASE, //the base address of the fifo write slave FIFO_1_IN_CSR_BASE, //the base address of the fifo control slave d); //value to write to address //read e,f from fifo h = altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo(FIFO_1_OUT_BASE, //the base address of the fifo read slave FIFO_1_IN_CSR_BASE); //the base address of the fifo control slave return 0; }  

I will glad to hear all your advices.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anybody work with FIFO in Nios, using API?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello ,  

my nios II/e have to write on my Fifo. 

i don't have a probleme with Qsys or Quartus. 

my problem is the c program on nios eclipse. 

Can you help me ?
0 Kudos