Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How to change the default name of *.sof file in Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Altera Users, 

Where can I change the default *.sof name in the settings of quartus ? I want to create different files (file1.sof, file2.sof, ....) different compilations for the project, so I can avoid to recompile again and again, 

I want also to avoid to create different projects for this reason. 

thanks for your help  

best regards Chahid
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can change the directory where the output files go by going to Assignments->Settings and selecting Compilation Process Settings on the left. Under Save project output files in specified directory, change Directory name: as needed (default is output_files). You need a separate directory for all the output files because your changed settings will probably make changes to several intermediate files before the final sof file is generated.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I do is have a post-flow script run at the end of each compile and put the .sof and .rbf into a folder with a revision number in the name of the folder. I have quartus configured to put the build outputs into a build_outputs folder in the project directory and then have a simple tcl script copy and rename the files. In the qsf I use the post flow script assignment to execute my script: 

set_global_assignment -name POST_FLOW_SCRIPT_FILE "<path_to_my_script>.tcl"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks very much Galfonz & Purduee, I try both suggestions

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello friends  

I find the option Assignement -> settings -> compilation process setting (activate save project output files in specified directory + putting directory names), is working find and automatically, 

Thank you very much. 

regards chahid
0 Kudos