FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Do i get the DCC-HSMC or the ADA-HSMC for DSP work?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a Altera DE2-115 Cyclone IV board and I have a fundamental understanding of Digital Logic as well as VHDL. My core interest is in Signal Processing that being DSP in digital and audio signal processing. I would like to start putting theory to practice using my board but I need an expansion board of some kind that can allow me to do these things. I've researched some options and have come up with two. However, I'm not for sure what the major difference is between them and which one would be more suited to my needs. Could someone lay in on what I would find more accommodating. Having plenty of documentation/examples to refer to is important to me so if one has more documentation/examples over the other I would prefer that one. 

My Options: 

1.) ADA-HSMC 

2.) DCC-HSMC
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I would like to start putting theory to practice using my board but I need an expansion board of some kind that can allow me to do these things. I've researched some options and have come up with two. However, I'm not for sure what the major difference is between them and which one would be more suited to my needs. 

--- Quote End ---  

Actually, you're better off starting in the "perfect" digital world. You digital signal processing can consist of; 

1. Create an input signal, eg., in MATLAB. 

2. Download the signal to RAM. 

3. Processing that signal with your DSP logic and write the output to RAM. 

4. Read the results RAM, and check in relative to your MATLAB code. 

There's some example documentation and links here: 

https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/cobra_docs.html 

Look at the JPL and EELive slides, the FFT tutorial, and the ESC-104 slides, paper, and example code. 

That'll give you some ideas, and you can start with the hardware you've already got. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have a Altera DE2-115 Cyclone IV board and I have a fundamental understanding of Digital Logic as well as VHDL. My core interest is in Signal Processing that being DSP in digital and audio signal processing. I would like to start putting theory to practice using my board but I need an expansion board of some kind that can allow me to do these things. I've researched some options and have come up with two. However, I'm not for sure what the major difference is between them and which one would be more suited to my needs. Could someone lay in on what I would find more accommodating. Having plenty of documentation/examples to refer to is important to me so if one has more documentation/examples over the other I would prefer that one. 

My Options: 

1.) ADA-HSMC 

2.) DCC-HSMC 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi there, 

The major differences are  

1. AD and DA sample speed - DCC-HSMC is twice ADA-HSMC 

2. Cost - DCC-HSMC is USD$390 and ADA-HSMC is USD$219 

For more details, please visit dcc.terasic.com and ada.terasic.com 

David from Terasic
0 Kudos