Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

IO megafunction altpll not available for cyclone V in Quartus II 14.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using web edition of Quartus II 14.1 and try to build an application for Cyclone V device (5CEBA7F31C8). I found that Symbol->megafunctions->IO->altpll has been grayed out. I check the cyclone V device handbook, this device does have a PLL in it. But why the PLL is not available in software? Anybody knows why?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to run the megafunction dialog first. After that you will find it under insert->symbol->project->(name you gave it). It will only show up if there were no errors in the megafunction creation dialogs.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You need to run the megafunction dialog first. After that you will find it under insert->symbol->project->(name you gave it). It will only show up if there were no errors in the megafunction creation dialogs. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks. I click on every menu items, but still can't find the megafunction creation dialogs. Can you provide more detail of how to get this dialog?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's now called the IP catalog and has been rearranged. It's usually on the far left of the Quartus window. You may need to scroll. If it isn't there, go to View->Utility Windows->IP catalog.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's now called the IP catalog and has been rearranged. It's usually on the far left of the Quartus window. You may need to scroll. If it isn't there, go to View->Utility Windows->IP catalog. 

--- Quote End ---  

OK. I can see the IP catalog now. Under library->Basic functions->I/O, I can see IPs like ALTIOBUF, ALTDDIO_BDIR, ALTDLL etc etc. But I can't find the one I want, which is ALTPLL. There is no button that I can click on to create the missing IPs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use the search feature to look for PLL. What you are looking for is called Altera PLL or ALTPLL depending on what FPGA or Quartus version you are using.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Use the search feature to look for PLL. What you are looking for is called Altera PLL or ALTPLL depending on what FPGA or Quartus version you are using. 

--- Quote End ---  

Success. 

I am using web edition (64-bit) of Quartus II v.14.1. 

In IP catalog, I can find "Altera PLL" under library->Basic function->Clocks;PLL and Resets-PLL 

I right click on "Altera PLL", then click on "Add version 14.1...". The generation process start after I enter "pll' as IP variation file name.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera change to IP Editor from Megawizard starting from Quartus II 14.0. You could also archive your previous project ie Quartus II 13.1 to QAR and then un-qar using Quartus II 14.1. The Quartus II 14.1 should perform automatic IP upgrade for you including the PLL IP.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cyclone V enables Altera PLL and disables altpll megafunctions. The other way round for cyclone IV. I am looking for a way to produce a component compatible for both families.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The PLL structure is different in hardware in the Cyclone IV and Cyclone V families. You won't be able to produce a PLL component that is compatible with both families.  

Your best bet would be to find a subset of functionality supported by both hardware implementations and develop a common interface with two different implementations.
0 Kudos