Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

How to use ADA-GPIO card with DE1-SoC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm trying to use the ada-gpio (http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=73&no=278&partno=1) card with the DE1-SoC (rev c). 

for a start, I want to use the DAC to output some voltage according to switches on the board. 

what I had already done: 

1. assign switches sw
  2. assign gpio1

from this point i got lost - what should I connect to the ADA card? 

what I tried is: 

1. connect VCC an GND from the board to the card 

2. connect gpio pins to DAC_WRTA 

3. select the Oscillator mode on the card 

4. turn on some switches , and measure the voltage on the DA-A Channel - It's always 0v. 

What should I do to set up the ADA card properly?  

Thanks, 

Avi.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the ADA-GPIO card?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ADA = AD/DA = Analog To Digital and Digital to Analog Converter. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=67&no=278
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

(leon and flz - I think there was a bug In the forum so my first post wasn't visible for few hours) 

Anyway - I would still appreciate any help with the setup of the card.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Avi, 

Please allow me to comment further on top of the last reply from our technical support team a month ago. 

For the 2nd question of yours, our ADA-GPIO was designed with transformer configuration to provide the optimum high frequency performance. However, it is for ac coupling application only. You'd have to change the configuration from transformer to differential op amp configuration for dc coupling and that requires huge amount of rework, so there's nothing can be done by changing your code to output DC voltage.  

For more details, please refer to page 18 of a datasheet named AD9767.pdf in the system CD. Hope it helps. 

David from Terasic
0 Kudos