Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

How to download elf file to the Nios without recompiling

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a system with a Nios II processor. Currently, to download the system to the FPGA, I first download the .sof file using the Quartus II programmer, then on Quartus II I click on "Tools" and then "Nios II Software Build Tools for Eclipse", which opens the Nios II software. Then I click on the Run button to launch the program to the FPGA, but the program is recompiled before being downloaded. 

Is it possible to download directly the elf, without recompiling the project ? 

For info, I am using the version 13.0.1.232 of Quartus II and Nios II EDS. 

Thanks in advance, 

Jérôme
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just use a plain makefile based flow in Linux. After building the elf file I can do: 

nios2-download -c "USB-Blaster on host " -r -g path/to/file.elf  

and then 

nios2-terminal -c "USB-Blaster on host " 

to access the jtag uart (if you're using one).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is this to be run in the Nios Command Shell? Also, is the [x-y] supposed to be left like that or be replaced with something? When I tried to run it, it told me "There are no JTAG cables available on your system which match the --cable option you provided (USB-Blaster on host [x-y])." 

I'm using Quartus 14.0 on a Win7 machine and a DE0-Nano board. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you just want to download the .elf file, right click on the project and click Run As -> Nios II Hardware. If you get the Run Configurations window, go to Target Connections and scroll to the top right to hit the Refresh connections button and check "Ignore mismatch system id" and "ignore Mismatch timestamp". Finally Hit Run. This wont recompile the project. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is this to be run in the Nios Command Shell? Also, is the [x-y] supposed to be left like that or be replaced with something? When I tried to run it, it told me "There are no JTAG cables available on your system which match the --cable option you provided (USB-Blaster on host [x-y])." 

I'm using Quartus 14.0 on a Win7 machine and a DE0-Nano board. 

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes I belive you run it under the NIOS command shell in Windows (I use Linux and have my environment set up to run all the NIOS commands). 

If you type "jtagconfig" you should see your cable name to be used for the -c argument. My example was just for illustration.
0 Kudos