Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Pin count exceeded in RC4 Analysis

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on the hardware implementation of RC4 cipher and has written the code for it using ASM design methodology and the key and plain text are given by the user through two input ports of integers. After running Analysis and Synthesis, the device uses around 800 pins and Altera Quartus II Web Edition supports FPGA having max pins of around 520. What should I do? I tried using pin assignment but didn't understand it. While I run the compilation, it shows that only a few pins, around 300 drive logic. How can I remove the useless pins? I need to do this because I have to compare RC4 basic version with its other versions like RC4+.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You may try with Quartus II subscription edition which have 30 days free trial period.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use virtual pin assignments

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe you should revisit your design to verify the actual number of FPGA physical pin required. Generally the pin count issue would be triggered if your design required IO pins exceed the total pin count supported by the selected device. Thus, you could pay more attention on the IO usage.

0 Kudos