Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Acheiving 480Mbps on Max10 A7 FPGA(FPGA Beginner)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

In my new design i have selected Max10 A7 FPGA. i have a specific constraint for a particular signal. the signal have 480Mbps data rate and it should be connected to LVCMOS 1.2V IO. Is it possible in Max 10 A7 FPGA. I am quiet a beginner in FPGA designs. 

Regards
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are doing 480 MB USB 2, you should use a USB PHY chip. Look at the schematics of various dev boards with USB to see some examples.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We can not use USB PHY chip if we plan to use USB in HSIC mode. In that case,we need to run FPGA IO with 480 mbps data rate. 

Regards, 

Bhaumik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Refer to page 24 of the MAX 10 max 10 fpga device datasheet (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_datasheet.pdf), fOUT max is 472.5MHz for a -6 part.  

So, no - you won't support a single ended 480Mbps signal with MAX 10. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Alex, 

But USB HSIC uses DDR method. So clock frequency we require is 240 MHz. Now, can it work? 

Thanks for your reply. 

Warm Regards, 

Bhaumik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wasn't aware USB HSIC uses DDR and none of the previous postings mentioned DDR. 

So, as per my other response to sujesh's other post (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48516), yes it could work. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Alex, 

I am grateful to you for your reply. It's one more time you have helped me. 

Cheers, 

Bhaumik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot Friends , thanks for the guidence. 

Ya my design is for HSIC which uses DDR for its data signal(and inturn it have to be bidirectional and driven on an LVCMOS 1.2V). 

Regards 

Sujesh
0 Kudos