Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

simple graphics gui

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello: 

I am just getting started with the MAX10 FPGA. I would like to add some simple gui graphics capability, using a small 4 inch color "dumb" touch lcd to display messages & pushbuttons. (NO cascading windows, scroll bars, pop ups or anything like that). Is this well-supported by the MAX10? I'm looking for some examples & the graphics tools & any core modules needed to create such an app.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera has something called the design store that has example design examples that utilize the LCD and push button interface with MAX10. 

https://cloud.altera.com/devstore/platform/ 

Look up "LCD"... the most basic one is "Hello World LCD" for the MAX10 Dev Kit, and there is an ACD/LCD Controller Example design for the MAX 10 Eval Kit and Dev Kit - this one has a more interactive menu with the push button and LCD. 

Do you plan on using the touch LCD itself as a control?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the tip...however those examples are for 5x7 dot char displays...I'm needing to use a color graphics lcd to show a message ("hello world") perhaps using italics with a nice order. 

Is this readily supported by the MAX10? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera has something called the design store that has example design examples that utilize the LCD and push button interface with MAX10. 

https://cloud.altera.com/devstore/platform/ 

Look up "LCD"... the most basic one is "Hello World LCD" for the MAX10 Dev Kit, and there is an ACD/LCD Controller Example design for the MAX 10 Eval Kit and Dev Kit - this one has a more interactive menu with the push button and LCD. 

Do you plan on using the touch LCD itself as a control? 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is more of a software issue than a MAX10 one.  

I quickly looked at the IP Catalog in Quartus. Tools > Qsys > Searched "LCD" in catalog. I read through it and there are only two options, neither matching your 5x7 dot display. 16x2 options are available though.  

There are only two LCD controllers and they don't match your 5x7 screen. Your options are to look at the LCD controller's manufacturer's website or design your own at this point.
0 Kudos