Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Problems with the Quartus II software

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I am a student at the Stenden University in Holland. I am part of a larger group of students who are working with the Altera DE2-115 (Cyclone IV) board's. 

We have been experiencing a lot of problem's whit the Altera Quartus II software on multiple versions and operating systems. A majority of the group uses a Microsoft Windows 7/8.1 operating system and one member of our group (myself) is using a Fedora 21 system. All systems are 64 bit (x64). 

Here follows a list of problems that we have been experiencing: 

Quartus II web edition version 10.1 

Windows 7/8.1 

- Some of the installations went fine while other installations crashed. 

- From the group of students who got the software installed, some could not start the software. The Quartus process went in an unending loop, consuming a lot of CPU power in the process. 

Fedora  

- the built-in unpacker crashed while unpacking the software. Error: "conf.d", line 1: no element found 

altera_installer/bin/altera_installer_gui: sysbol lookup error: /lib/libXfixes.so.3: undefined symbol: _XGetRequest. 

Quartus II web edition version 13.1 

Windows 7/8.1 

- Students where plagued with the "Downloading ELF process failed" error message while following the "My first niosii" tutorial. 

Fedora 

- The "My first niosii" tutorial worked, but the Nios Eclipse environment was too unstable (the environment caused the system to freeze). 

Quartus II web edition version 14.1 

Windows 7/8.1 and Fedora 

- "Downloading ELF process failed" error message while following the "My first niosii" tutorial 

Quartus II web edition version 15.0 

Windows 7/8.1 

- Eclipse was very unstable 

Fedora 

- Eclipse was stable for a couple of days but became unstable after a while (same problem as with version 13.1) 

My questions: 

- Does anyone know a stable version of the Quartus II software or an alternative? 

- Does anyone know a good place to find sample projects (HDL design and Nios C++ code). The Eclipse environment has a view samples (Hello World, Simple Socket server, ...) but has no design files which work for these programs. The system CD which came with the board only contains samples which are compatible with Quartus II version 10.1.  

We have three weeks to finish our project. Any advice about creating a stable working environment or obtaining working sample code for the DE2-115 board would be a greatly appreciated. At the moment we are using version 15.0 of the Quartus software. 

The error log of the Eclipse freeze problem on the Fedora machine has been added as an attachment (Windows line-endings). The error log was obtained from the journalctl service.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"Downloading ELF process failed" is probably because you don't have aligned timestamp with fw? 

Run with Run/Debug Configurations and Refresh Connections in Target Connection tab to update cache of timestamp after a reconfiguration of FPGA and a BSP rebuild (or rarely if a device with FTDI chip is connected to pc and exchanged for USB Blaster during enum, you can see this with some console command).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know if this is still a problem, but at one point the Altera installers didn't check the MD5 sum of the download. I once had a bad download that installed dozens of files with zero length. After struggling with it for some time I noticed the bad download. After uninstalling and re-installing with a verified download Quartus worked fine. You might check to make sure the MD5 checksum of your install files matches what is shown on the download page.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your advice. We did check the MD5 sum of the linux and windows binaries, they where all ok.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the advice, we knew about the problem with the timestamp, before we posted our questions about it. We always connect the FGPA chip to the notebook when we create new projects. Eclipse also gives a warning when the timestamps do not match.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use Quartus 15.0. I have the project with PCIe-core in Qsys. This project normal compile and run in Quartus v.14.x, but when I compile this project in Quartus 15.0 I have the error: "272006 LPM_WIDTHU parameter has been set to illegal value 4, but should be set to value 5". This problem with scfifo in file altpciexpav_stif_cr_rp.v. This file making Quartus from my Qsys project. The same error I see in any sample project from Altera website with PCIe-core.  

Have anybody same problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Windows 8.1 is officially supported in Quartus II v15.0. Fedora is not officially supported. I'm pretty sure you should check the supported OS before installing any software.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Windows 8.1 is officially supported in Quartus II v15.0. Fedora is not officially supported. I'm pretty sure you should check the supported OS before installing any software. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello raimm. I use Quartus II v15.0 on Windows 8.1. I established Quartus II v15.0 Web Edition, but a problem with scfifo remained. This problem arise, when I use Cra registers PCI Express IP.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello raimm. I use Quartus II v15.0 on Windows 8.1. I established Quartus II v15.0 Web Edition, but a problem with scfifo remained. This problem arise, when I use Cra registers PCI Express IP. 

--- Quote End ---  

I saw that Altera already acknowledge this issue in QII v15.0. Have you tried the solution below: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd05132015_126.html
0 Kudos