Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

DDR3 without leveling clock length

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I'm developing a board with a CycloneV and a DDR3 chip drive by the HPS memory controller. CycloneV does not support write leveling. I'm currently struggling to know exactly what rules I should be following for the routing. 

On this document (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_plan_board_ddr2.pdf)(Table 4-9) it's stated that the clock length should be between Byte_lane_length and Byte_lane_length + 100mil. 

I saw in other documents various rules for clock routing (up to 1000mil tolerance). I don't know which one to follow in my particular case.  

Does anyone have a clear rule for clock length matching in the case of DDR3 without write leveling ? 

Thanks! 

marguedas
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For each byte lane I routed it with DQS / DM a bit longer than DQ. 

And pretty much matched the lengths of the ck p/n to the CA lines. 

Seems to work, tests show plenty of margin. 

I have 4 16bit wide chips hooked up to the HPS DDR3, using a T topology for CA. 

The dual data are in a back to back arrangement with address mirroring. 

And 1 16bit wide DDR3 chip connected to the FPGA fabric which is point to point.
0 Kudos