Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Downloading software to the CPLD chip from another processor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have an embedded application where I am using the MAX V CPLD chip and also an ARM processor. I need to be able to program the MAX V CPLD chip from the ARM processor. The way the CPLD is programmed now is by jtag from a PC. Is there any information about doing this or another way of programming the CPLD without using Jtag? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe you can bitbang programming bitstream?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check out this link - 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/programming/jam.html 

it's the page for the Altera Jam STAPL software. There's source for programming devices from a cpu. 

I've done it before with a X****x device and an embedded cpu, should work the same way. 

Kevin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Programming devices via JTAG is possible. Older generation devices were supported by Altera's JRunner software (and maybe newer devices are too). Take a look in the MAX V handbook and look at the IEEE 1532 details. The "Programming Sequence" section looks like it provides enough detail so that you could create your own programmer. I'd recommend buying a low-cost MAX V kit and trying that procedure, or post a new thread asking if anyone on the forum has used an IEEE 1532 programmer. 

Programming a MAX V via IEEE 1532 instructions could easily be tested using an FTDI C232H cable (assuming the MAX V JTAG interface was also 3.3V, otherwise you'll need level translators). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos