Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Cyclone IV E Configugation pin MSEL3 issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I need some help with Cyclone IV E configuration. 

EP4CE22F17 does not have MSEL3 pin and handbook says: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Smaller Cyclone IV E devices or package options (E144 and F256 packages) do not 

have the MSEL3 pin. The AS Fast POR configuration scheme at 3.0- or 2.5-V 

configuration voltage standard and the AP configuration scheme are not supported in 

Cyclone IV E devices without the MSEL3 pin. To configure these devices with other 

supported configuration schemes, select MSEL2..0 pins according to the MSEL 

settings in Table 8-5. 

--- Quote End ---  

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf 

Ok, that sounds good, but which MSEL3 pin value I must assume when looking in that table? 

0, 1 or equal to some other MSEL pin?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would ignore the MSEL3 column as it does not apply. Also as it says in the test, ignore AS Fast POR 3.0/2.5 and all AP configurations. So if you want Standard 3.3V AS then you would set MSEL[2..0] to be 0,1,0

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I need some help with Cyclone IV E configuration. 

EP4CE22F17 does not have MSEL3 pin and handbook says: 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf 

Ok, that sounds good, but which MSEL3 pin value I must assume when looking in that table? 

0, 1 or equal to some other MSEL pin? 

--- Quote End ---  

Doesn't matter. When you remove AS Fast for 3.0/2.5 and the AP options, you don't have any overlap if you ignore MSEL3. 

Looking at the table, it doesn't look like they internally tie MSEL3 it to a specific value or one of the other MSEL pins, so they must be using a different method in that case. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! This is very helpful.

0 Kudos