Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

How to use USB port on Stratix 3 ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello guys, 

I'm a beginner at using FPGA. I'd really appreciate it if someone could walk me through how to use the USB port of my Stratix III EP3SE260F1152CN. 

Do I have to have access to IP license to use the USB port or can I just use it? There doesn't seem to be any tutorial on how to use the USB port. 

I want to read image files from my USB Drive and display them on my monitor by hooking the FPGA board to a monitor. Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So FPGA's are programmable devices, so by default USB is not a function that is a hardcore, but something that can be added. 

You are probably looking at a Development board with a USB port on it. So how you connect the USB is dependent on the board. 

Check your schematic first.  

If the board has a USB host capability, they usually have a demo project that uses it. It will use a licensed IP, but usually the Licensed IP will have a "Try it before you buy it" capability that will allow it to work either for a time limited time or if you have it hooked up to the active debugger. (Open cores plus licensing) 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you let me if you are using a Stratix III development kit, I can give some guidance on which reference or example design can satisfy your inquiry.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the info anakha! :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using a DE3 Stratix III board. Is it the same? Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may refer to to DE3 user manual for more details on how to use the USB port in DE3 board 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=39&no=260&partno=4
0 Kudos