Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

MAX3000 support in Quartus II Web Edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Quartus II Web Edition (Free) V13.0.1 (SP1) which supports MAX3000 devices. 

I now get a message, that my license expires in 2 days (07/20/2015). 

Licence Setup shows me "Web Edition" as License type and Subscription Expiration "2013.07" while the software was installed in 2014 ?! 

I do not understand, why the free Web Edition License expires at all and what to do now ? 

As I read, MAX3000 is no more supported in newer versions but don't know why.  

This seems to be a bit crazy because it is an official CPLD from Altera which is still produced and available via several distributors. 

It is by the way not marked as EOL product.  

The sometimes read advise "use newer devices for exisiting designs" isn't really helpful by the way and is a matter of cost as well. 

I am using the EPM3032 PLCC44 versions with 10ns which are provided by a sale price of less than 2 USD per piece. 

By the way - I get another message when accidently clicked on some feature not provided by the free Web Edition. 

"Device or device family does not support design partitions". 

Maybe you can get me an advise how to get rid of these messages.  

They appear only when opening this design and maybe there is an interdependency to the licence problem. 

So I don't know what happens in 2 days and if I can still modify and/or program MAX3000 devices with Quartus II Web Edition and how to extend the free Web Edition license. And I don't know if a new installation will be supported. This version is still marked as "free" on Altera Website. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Karl
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure you installed the web edition? you get a free 30 day licence of the subscription edition. The web edition should have no licence.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, web edition is a free and no license required version of QII software for Max 3000. You can download it from here: 

https://www.altera.com/downloads/download-center.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes - I am sure I installed the QII v13 SP1 as free (not 30 days trial). 

I started at 02/20/2015 and got the message, that the licence has to be updated till 07/20/2015. 

So let's see tomorrow if it still runs. 

Attached the screen with licence information. Anyway I did use it for 5 month now - not 30 days. 

I am not sure - this maybe a wrong information in the same way that the software sent me a hint to register (BUY) for the non-free features when starting. This came when accidently tried some options to get more familiar with but I don't need or use these options (see my first post). I think this is a project setting because I get this message only when I open the project not when just starting the software QII. Maybe this is a bug in QII - so I asked if there is a way to get rid of this message. Anyway not a big problem.
0 Kudos