Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20645 Discussions

Altera EP2C35F672C6N and Tektronix DPO3034 Oscilloscope question...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody:-) 

I have a little question about a cyclone ii fpga chip (EP2C35F672C6N)... 

I'm actually trying to repair a Tektronix DPO3034 oscilloscope that has it's ALTERA EP2C35F672C6N fpga completely burn !!!! 

My question is: in this series of fpga the firmware is permanently flashed on the chip or is it loaded each time the system is powered up? 

If someone can help me it Will be great :-) 

Thanks in advance, 

Salim.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Salim, 

The firmware of the FPGA will be loaded from a memory device on-board and programmed every time it is powered up. The FPGA firmware is generally stored on on-board memory device ie flash.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi bfkstimchan, 

Thank you very much for the fast reply. 

It's a very good news for me :-) 

Thank you again
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some devices that have a microcontroller will use it to load the FPGA image. I don't know the particulars of scopes, but it is more likely if it is one that runs Windows underneath.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Galfonz, 

Thanks for these informations :-) 

The tektronix DPO3034 oscilloscope runs under a Linux Based realtime OS. 

The computer part is built around an AMCC PPC440EP embedded microcontroller associated with an Intel 48F4400P0VB00 512Mbit flash memory. 

As I understand the Cyclone II FPGA image is stored in the intel flash memory and is loaded at startup into that FPGA, right? 

I have another interrogation...This scope has a high resolution color lcd panel, but I have noticed that there's no graphics chipset, and I m suspecting that this function is processed by the Cyclone II FPGA, do you think it is powerful enough to accomplish this task? 

Thanks again,
0 Kudos