Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

How to rectify modelsim error "failed to open top_core.vo"?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was trying to simulate PCI Express reference design as per instructions given in "ip compiler for pci express" (https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0cb4qfjaaahukewi308hcypphahveky4khbzicio&url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.altera.com%2fliterature%2fug%2fug_pci_express.pdf&ei=tt3cvbeggmsiugs8xapqca&usg=afqjcnh70svgqfxfxgufql7dgu2ix29uxa&sig2=jt7ej5ksplgilqimjejsqq&bvm=bv.99556055,d.c2e&cad=rja) document. Reference design file I downloaded from altera website and copied in the system. When runtb.do file is runned an error message "failed to open top_core.vo" is shown in the screen.  

Attaching snapshot of error message here. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10968
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Are you using Native link for simulation or standalone simulation?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the difference between Native link for simulation and standalone simulation? I am using standalone Modelsim, not from Quartus link. I hope this is what you meant. If my assumption is wrong let me know.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes that is what I meant, 

Now looks like you are trying to run a gate level simulation.. 

Can you double check if you have created the netlist successfully and the file is present at the location mentioned in .do file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Net list is created succesfully. Even top.vo (top module) file is there in the respective location. But this .do file is looking for top_core.vo which is part the project (top_core.v file is also available in the respective location).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are two things.  

Either you are running a Gate level sim only one netlist file (.vo ) is required. 

If you are running RTL functional simulation then all (.v) files are required. 

So which one are you running?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Make change in the .do file according to your requirement i-e give all of your design files as input (either Netlist files or design files) 

And then try running simulation.  

I hope this will help you. 

Cheers, 

Have a nice weekend :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried that it is working. Thank you. Hopes simulating either .v instead of .vo won't make much difference.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to simulate one of them at a time, since they both are simulating same module only difference is with different level of abstraction. 

simulating .v is your RTL simulation 

simulating .vo is synthesized netlist simulation 

There won't be any difference, unless you use the gate delays.  

To understand the difference you can read in detail about gate level simulation (.vo) vsfunctional simulation.
0 Kudos