Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Free USB VID (Vendor ID) & PID (Product ID) for DE2 boards?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My question: 

For development, I utilized open-source USB driver on DE2 board in which I selected USB parameters 

x"09fb" as VID - vendor ID (Altera) 

x"600A" as PID - product ID 

*** Can I utilize these USB VID & PID or is there any free VID&PID for DE2 University program? 

Note: I selected PID=x"600A", because PID must be different from Altera USB blaster (PID=x"6001") to assure simultaneous communication with PC on 2 USB cables, one for programming DE2 board, the second for the logic analyzer. 

Explanation of project: 

For my students, I have developed logic analyzer for DE2 boards with USB connection to PC. It was tested also on DE2-115. The logic analyzer is an education application written for non-profit reasons. It contains simple on-line compression of sampled data and it is capable of sampling up to 50 MHz with on-line sending data to PC, so you can see signals in real time. The complexity of the logic analyzer is about 1400 LE + synchronous on-board RAM for FIFO memory (with selectable size). 

The analyzer will be tested in this winter semester by my students together with PC graphical environment written in C#. Finally, I plan to publish all as an open source, but I need VID and PID. 

Thank you for your replays. 

Regards Richard Susta, CTU-FEE Prague 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you wish to formally use Altera's VID you'll need approval from Altera. The own the rights to all 65535 PIDs associated with their VID. I doubt they use them all(!) and you may find they have such a scheme available for programs like yours. You may receive an altogether different response - I hope not. Either way I'd suggest it's worth asking them - submit a service request via mysupport (https://mysupport.altera.com/alteraservreq/mysupporthomeclassesview.html). 

If you wish to informally use Altera's VID then you'll have to take your chances. 

Given recent events you might consider using one of Intel's VIDs... 

Or perhaps you can persuade your university to get their own vid (http://www.usb.org/developers/vendor/). Good luck with that. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos