Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Licensing question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am surprised with the price of Quartus suscription edition. 

The price of one year license is $3000 (well, only 2995) (http://www.buyaltera.com/scripts/partsearch.dll?detail&name=544-1247-nd). By contrast, an arria v starter kit (https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-arria-v-starter.html), which includes one year license, costs $850 . 

So one should buy an Arria V kit every year rather than renewing the Quartus license? 

I have just bought one Arria V starter kit. So am I supposed to throw it to the bin after one year, and buy a new kit if I want to continue using it, because renewing the license is more expensive?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't comment on Altera's marketing choices, but if you order the kit and expect to use Quartus for other FPGAs, such as a Stratix, check first that the license with the kit is a full license and not one that can only target Arria's. 

The license is only used for renewal. After one year you don't have to throw your kit away, you can still use the Quartus version that you installed. The only thing you won't be able to do any more is to upgrade Quartus to a version that came out after your license expired. 

Edit: please note that this rule only applies to Quartus itself. For the licensed IPs, some of them require an updated license if you want to compile them in your design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think (but check with FAE) 

Subscription license allow using Quartus after expiration (i think for 10 years), anyway you can't use new versions that release after your license expire. 

Arria V starter kit after 1 year expire and you can't use it anymore 

If you want to update every year kit are fine, but if you want to update every 4 year subscription is better.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think (but check with FAE) 

Subscription license allow using Quartus after expiration (i think for 10 years), anyway you can't use new versions that release after your license expire. 

Arria V starter kit after 1 year expire and you can't use it anymore 

If you want to update every year kit are fine, but if you want to update every 4 year subscription is better. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the info sharing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I can't comment on Altera's marketing choices, but if you order the kit and expect to use Quartus for other FPGAs, such as a Stratix, check first that the license with the kit is a full license and not one that can only target Arria's. 

The license is only used for renewal. After one year you don't have to throw your kit away, you can still use the Quartus version that you installed. The only thing you won't be able to do any more is to upgrade Quartus to a version that came out after your license expired. 

Edit: please note that this rule only applies to Quartus itself. For the licensed IPs, some of them require an updated license if you want to compile them in your design. 

--- Quote End ---  

I am concerted about continued usage of the kit after one year. And it looks like this is the case. I do not intent to use it for Stratix. 

The manual of the kit says (page 13) (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_avgx_starter_dev_kit.pdf

--- Quote Start ---  

Activating Your License 

Purchasing this kit entitles you to a oneyear license for the Development Kit Edition (DKE) of the Quartus II software. 

After the year, your DKE license will no longer be valid and you will not be permitted to use this version of the Quartus II software. To continue using the Quartus II software, you should download the free Quartus II Web Edition or purchase a subscription to Quartus II software. 

--- Quote End ---  

My concern is, since the free version of Quartus II (web edition) does not work with an Arria V device, does this mean that after one year I can no longer use the kit? You say no, but the activation manual says yes. 

In addition, I have just downloaded the license file with the serial number from the kit. And it looks like it expires in 6 months !!! 

--- Quote Start ---  

# Altera Corporation Software and/or Intellectual Property License File# Issued 02 September 2015# Upgrade to these products will no longer be available after the Maintenance Expiration# date unless licenses are renewed.# Fixed Node License# Primary Machine Name-windev# Primary Machine ID-NIC ID XXXXXXXXXXXX# Companion ID-N/A# Companion ID 2-N/A# Product License Summary:# Quartus II Development Kit Edition, 1 Seat(s)# - Maintenance Expiration of 2016.09# - License Expires 31-Mar-2016# ################################################################################ FEATURE START# The following is a license file for the Altera Design Security feature for the Quartus# II Software.# Number of seat licenses is 1# License Expires 31-Mar-2016 

FEATURE quartus_nonvolatile_encryption alterad 2016.09 31-mar-2016  

uncounted XXXXXXXXXXXX HOSTID=XXXXXXXXXXXX TS_OK SIGN="XXXX  

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX  

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX"# FEATURE END# ################################################################################ FEATURE START# The following is a license file for the Altera Quartus II Development Kit Edition# Number of seat licenses is 1# License Expires 31-Mar-2016 

FEATURE maxplus2 alterad 2016.09 31-mar-2016 uncounted XXXXXXXXXXXX  

HOSTID=XXXXXXXXXXXX SIGN="XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX  

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX" 

FEATURE quartus alterad 2016.09 31-mar-2016 uncounted XXXXXXXXXXXX  

HOSTID=XXXXXXXXXXXX TS_OK SIGN="XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX  

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX"# FEATURE END# ################################################################################ End of Altera Corporation Software and/or Intellectual Property License File. Issued 09/02/2015 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Buy enough devices - and you'll get cheap/free quartus licences!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

License Expires 31-Mar-2016

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, it does not work after 6 months. I checked by advancing the clock of the computer to a April 2016, and the software starts requesting a license, and without compilation support.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay I thought it as a subscription edition with the kit, but it looks like it's a specific kit edition of Quartus. Talk to your FAE. They can be helpful and maybe give you an extension on your license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The other think to remember is that the license that comes with the kit is a development kit license - it includes the basic Quartus license. If you get the subscription edition license it includes full licenses for many IP cores as well (e.g. memory PHY's).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

Just one more Question about the Quartus II subscription Edition. If I buy the subscription Edition, does it allow me to use the licence with different Quartus II versions, or am I limited to the version I installed?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's a subscription license. You can use it with any version of Quartus II including all future versions.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

At least all future versions released before the subscription ends. All previous versions can also be installed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you all! Just another question that it's not clear to me. On my 30 day Trial I can see my 3 NIC ID's and the Harddisk SN. With an installed Licence, which NIC is taken as reference? All 3 NIDC ID's or just one? Or the Harddisk too? I'm asking to know what happens if I change for example one Network-Card.  

Thanks
0 Kudos