Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

modelsim version

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there, 

Which version of ModelSim works with Quartus II V15.0? Does modelsim SE 6.6c works? I would like to simulate with IP cores such as PCIE and DDR2 controllers. 

I would like to use a standalone Modelsim and invoke the simulation on a different machine. The QuartusII is installed on machine A, and the Mentor software is installed on machine B. I need to compile necessary libraries before simulation. So which version of ModelSim should i use?  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also installed the altera-modelsim with the Quartus II full package. Do i need other license file except the Quartus II license file to get to use the altera-modelsim? I got errors as :  

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

I am using a linux machine.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Afaik, you should be able to use any version, but you need to recompile the libraries for each modelsim version. Modelsim is independent of quartus.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for you rply.  

If I point the simulation tool to modelsim_ase/bin, I still have above errors. I though the altera-modelsim starter version doesn't need any other special license files. But this error kept popping up. Do you happen to know why? 

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Afaik, you should be able to use any version, but you need to recompile the libraries for each modelsim version. Modelsim is independent of quartus. 

--- Quote End ---  

Once I recompiled everything and try to run an simulation example generated with PCIE avalon-MM module. The simulation ran for days so I guess something went wrong. How long typical is needed to simulate modules such as PCIE or DDR2 controller?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Modelsim ASE is limited to 10k lines of code IIRC, any more than that and it will run at super slow speed.  

For PCIE or DDR2 controller I expect this 10k limit will easily be reached. I suggest you use a paid for licenced version.
0 Kudos