Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Can't create a VHDL file in Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have been trying to create a VHDL file for block diagram. The project compiles without problems, but when trying to create a HDL file for current file it shows an error. Hence I cannot progress further since I can't create symbol form file either.  

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11953&stc=1  

Here is the screenshot of my file with errors.  

Could someone help me please?  

Thank you 

Tom
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The screenshot is too small to be readable. But do your signal names all meet VHDL requirements: 

ie. must start with a letter. Can only contain alpha numeric characters and underscore (a-z, 0-9, _). VHDL is also case insensitive, so have you got any duplicate names through different cases. eg. nCS and ncs (same name in VHDL).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The screenshot is too small to be readable. But do your signal names all meet VHDL requirements: 

ie. must start with a letter. Can only contain alpha numeric characters and underscore (a-z, 0-9, _). VHDL is also case insensitive, so have you got any duplicate names through different cases. eg. nCS and ncs (same name in VHDL). 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

thank you for getting back to me, and I do apologise for unclear screenshot. 

The error message I get is: "Name "OF" contains VHDL keyword". I used symbol from quartus library BCD to 7 Segment (7447) and I would expect it to work and produce the VHDL file when prompted. 

Thank you  

Tom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The 74 series logic devices are very old and have named pins. They were probably never meant to be used with HDL.

0 Kudos