Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Problem with Bitec HSMC digital audio/video card on Cyclone V 5csxfc6d6f31c8nes board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to configure HSMC DVI board on soc device 5csxfc6d6f31c8nes for a design to get the dvi output on monitor. But i am not able to see any output on the dvi monitor. Quartus 14.1 is being used. 

However, when i try to run the same design on Cyclone V 5cgtfd9e5f35c7 board i do not dace any problem and it works completely fine (Quartus 14.1).  

The only changes done are in the qsf file and the device. 

I am not able to figure out, how to figure out the issue and completely stuck. please help !! 

Regards, 

Anmag
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anmag, 

Did you correctly map all the HSMC pins on the new board? Also, does it have all the required input clocks (as the 5CGT board) needed for the project to work? We need more information to better assist you. What exactly did you change in the project from one board to the other? 

Regards 

Thiago
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Thiago, 

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes i did rechecked my pin assignment for HSMC and it is looks good. 

I have used used 125 MHz fixed oscillator driving CLK4p in bank 5B as my clock source. 

I have just changed the .qsf file for the new board and nothing else.  

And I am not able to figure out the issue. 

I am using TFP410 video interface chips on the HSMC DVI daughtercards. Do Cyclone V SOC board supports this and if it does how can i configure the daughter card?? 

Regards, 

Anmag
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the mean time, I used signal tap at the CVO o/p and saw that the output from the CVO (clocked video output) is perfectly as expected. The CVO o/p is connected to the bitec DVI daughter card.  

I am just not able to see the reqiured output on the DVI monitor. The pin mapping for the bitec card is fine.  

What can be the possible issue?? Please help !! 

Anmag
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Anmag, 

Sorry for the late reply. Were you able to solve this issue? If the output from CVO and the pin mapping are correct, it might be possible that the DVI controller is not being initialized. Is there a Nios doing this initialization? Did you regenerate de QSys system for the new device (5CSX) before compiling the project? Try to map the configuration pins being used (I2C, SPI maybe?) and check if they are correctly sending the commands to the controller in the daughter board. 

Also, did you get any timing violation errors in the compilation? 

Best regards, 

Thiago
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI thiago, 

No, the issue is still not solved. Yes, i am initializing the HSMC daughter card with NIOS. yes, i did regenerate the complete system with the new device ie 5CSX.  

In the mean time i did try to write and read the daughter card using I2C and that is working fine. 

Also, there are no errors reported in the timequest timing analyser. 

Some other suggestion to proceed with?? 

Regards, 

Anmag
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anmag, 

Do you have an oscilloscope that could be used to check if the video signals are going to the daughter card correctly? I think that the card has lots of test points for that.  

Is the input video interface working? 

During the compilation process, are there any critical warning messages reported? Please double check the warnings messages too, they have helped me a lot in finding "strange" problems. 

Cheers, 

Thiago
0 Kudos