Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Cyclone V SoC / Boot from QSPI issue with Quartus 15.0 and Angstrom distribution

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm trying to boot Linux (Angstrom distribution) from QSPI flash with the following files generated with Quartus 15.0: preloader, uboot, rbf file, dtb file. 

With Quartus 13.1, I can boot Linux (Poky distribution) from QSPI flash. This works on the Arrow SoCkit board and a custom board too.  

To boot from QSPI with Quartus 13.1, I followed the instruction on rocketboards website (https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131qspiboot) (how generate the files, where store the files in QSPI, how edit preloader and uboot to boot from QSPI, How compile a minimalist rootfs, ...). 

I want to upgrade Quartus version from 13.1 to 15.0, because some bugs were fixed regarding preloader and uboot issues (HPS register configuration bugs if LOAN I/Os are used). But I read, if I'm using Quartus 15.0, I need to use Angstrom distribution.  

I cannot boot from QSPI with Quartus 15.0 and Angstrom Distribution. No documentation is available on the rocketboards website (only available for Quartus 13.1). 

Do you know where I can find a tutorial how to boot from QSPI with Quartus 15.0? 

If I use preloader and uboot files compiled on Quartus 15.0 and rbf /dtb files on Quartus 13.0, I can boot Poky distri. from QSPI. The LOAN I/O bugs are solved... 

Quartus is installed on Windows 10 x64 and the compilations of zImage and rootfs are performed on Ubuntu 12.04 x64. 

Thanks for your help 

Regards, 

Julien
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you ever resolve this? If so could you help me out. I tried Q14.1 about 6 months ago and now am trying Q16.1 --- No luck it doesn't like the .dtb file (but the same .dtb file boots from the SD Card). 

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! THANKS!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

UPDATE - I'm using Quartus 17.0. I started with the Macnica SODIA GHRD 16.1 design, ran QSYS, re-compiled and createing the preloader, u-boot, .dtb, .rbf on a Ubuntu machine. I created the zImage from the "kernel.config" in the "intelFPGA.17.0/embedded/embeddedsw ..." prebuild images directory. 

I programmed a SODIA board QSPI via the HPS programmer (our custom board WILL not have an sd card). 

It boots from QSPI
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

There is not Cyclone V reference for boot from qspi in newer version(Angstom), as the last version for cyclone V soc was with poky release. 

Regards, 

CloseCL 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

CloseCL, 

I get that.  

What I was letting people know is that I WAS SUCCESSFUL even without "Cyclone V reference for boot from QSPI" for the Angstrom release. And I can share the steps if need be. Too busy to do a full write up right now. 

All the reference designs (which is our firmware starting point for custom projects - then we add our custom IPs) use Angstrom and there was another post where someone never got their system embedded to the QSPI after 14.1 (or they never reposted).
0 Kudos