Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Altera Assignment problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello; 

In my design, I inferred a register with a clk-enable signal, but in the fitter report I found that this a high fan-out signal and affect the system critical path. Can i solve this problem with the Altera Assignment editor.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well, what do you want to know?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How can I use the assignment editor to reduce the fan-out for this signal.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know if you can, maybe someone else does.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

this post may be helpful for you http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50587&p=208266#post208266 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50587&p=208266#post208266

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks. I got it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can also do register duplication in the source code. Create two signals assigned from the same source, but each one has a different destination. Then apply the nomerge attribute to them to prevent the synthesis from merging them.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You can also do register duplication in the source code. Create two signals assigned from the same source, but each one has a different destination. Then apply the nomerge attribute to them to prevent the synthesis from merging them. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your attention 

But I have a question. In my design I have a control register that feed many multiplexers. This register have a high fan-out signals that have a negative effect in the system timing.. I tried the following 

1- To assign this register to a global control register ---------------> That results in no effect on timing 

2- To make a max-fan-out assignment to it ---------------> The same fan out problem reported in the fitter 

3- To select the register duplication in the physical synthesis options --------------> The duplicated registers also reported to have a large fan-out 

I want a solution for this problem. The Design assistant only advice to solve this problem. What can I do
0 Kudos