Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

A switch to detect whether a project contains a separated design partition ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Quartus full compilation automatically run Partition Merge process if the project has a separated design partition. anyone know how quartus is able to determine whether the project has a separated design partition? Any switch to look for? 

What I'm trying to do here is to mimic Quartus full compilation process (run Partition Merge if detected the project contain separated design partition) in my regression tests...for some reasons I can't use the Quartus TCL compilation flow API. That means I need to run  

quartus_map 

quartus_fit 

quartus_sta 

Thanks 

OT
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean Quartus Tcl Compilation flow API? I always run "quartus_sh --flow compile <project_name>" and that mimics the pushbutton GUI flow, and will run partition merge if necessary. If that's what you're talking about that can't be run, I'm not sure of an easy way to work around it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I usually run the following command after quartus_map: 

$ quartus_cdb $qpf -c $qsf --merge=on 

If there are partitions, they'll be merged. If not, nothing happens. But I also would like to know if there is a check to determine if there are partitions or not.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What do you mean Quartus Tcl Compilation flow API? I always run "quartus_sh --flow compile <project_name>" and that mimics the pushbutton GUI flow, and will run partition merge if necessary. If that's what you're talking about that can't be run, I'm not sure of an easy way to work around it. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your reply, Rysc.  

What I means is the TCL package for Full Compilation provided by Quartus.  

% package require ::quartus::flow 

% execute_flow -compile 

I would like keep the flexibility to control when to run each process (map, cdb, fit, sta, and etc) in my regression tests so I'm avoiding the ONESHOT compilation switch.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I usually run the following command after quartus_map: 

$ quartus_cdb $qpf -c $qsf --merge=on 

If there are partitions, they'll be merged. If not, nothing happens. But I also would like to know if there is a check to determine if there are partitions or not. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi OutputLogic, 

you means for a flat design, whether Partition Merge is run or not in compilation, the result(timing, resource utilization and etc) should be same?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Found. Can use [get_partition] switch to check number of partitions exists in design.  

set partitions foreach p $partitions { if { ==1 && == "Source File"]} { set run_partition_merge 0 } else { set run_partition_merge 1 } }
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good idea.

0 Kudos