Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

VHDL- Quartus II (Web Edition) - size of the constante of std_logic_vector type

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Everybody,  

I would like using different constants of std_logic_vector type like that, because I want to using the numeric value :  

constant VAL_MAX_COMPTEUR_2HZ : std_logic_vector(19 downto 0) := To_stdlogicvector(X"000011");  

and if I change the size of the std_logic_vector at 21 bit, quartus indicates :  

Error (10324): VHDL Expression error at Jongleur_main.vhd(72): expression "('0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','1','0','0','0','1')" has 24 elements ; expected 21 elements. 

For me that indicates that a constant is not taller than 20bit.  

But I don't arrive to find the explanation for that  

In advance thank you to the reading and if you have an explanation.  

Best Regards, 

Amitié - Philippe
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are writing a 24 bit constant where a 20 bit constant should be used. 6 hex digits make 24 bit, isn't it? Just delete a leading zero. 

Secondly, why are you not simply writing 

constant VAL_MAX_COMPTEUR_2HZ : std_logic_vector(19 downto 0) := X"00011"; 

Finally, if you want numeric values, why don't you use unsigned or integer with range?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello FvM,  

Thank you very much for your answer - indeed I make a mistake, I mixed the bit number and the hex value... Now I understand why the declaration of my constant didn't work.  

Still a Big Thank you.
0 Kudos