Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Clock data recovery

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, i am quite new to fpga stuff but in my current project i need to decode a 40MHz Manchester encoded signal. As far as I understood there are different ways to do this but one is to use a pll to recover the clock from the input stream. 

Is this correct and if so can someone tell me how to configure the pll? (So far I only used the megafunctions to create a pll with static frequency) 

I was already looking for some application notes but didn't find too much Information.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The transceivers available in various FPGA families can be configured to perform Clock and Data Recovery (CDR) from a received serial stream. However, I suspect the data rate you're looking at may be too low. For reference look at the "Transceivers" section of the "cyclone v device handbook (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v3.pdf)". 

However, at 40MHz (is that 40Mbps with transitions at 80MHz?) you could consider 'simply' over-sampling the received data with a fixed local clock, possibly generated from a PLL in the manner you're familiar with. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would over-sample as well, unless you need to recover the clock from some reason other than decoding the data. Alex - 40Mbps Manchester = 40MHz, not 80MHz.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just for clarity - A 40Mbps Manchester encoded stream potentially has transitions every 12.5ns. Thus you will need to oversample what is effectively an 80Mbps signal. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos