Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

DE1-SOC SD card file system

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wanted to run the arm inside the DE1-SOC board. I created the bsp using the bsp-editor and compiled it. Now I have the preloader-mkpimage.bin file. I wanted to copy it to the SD Card. I noticed that it is not just copy and paste, but the sd card should have some sort of a file system. I could not figure that out. How can I make the SD card valid for the ARM to load the preloader then the uboot? 

I use Win 7. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes you are right. For the preloader it is not just copy and paste. This page has the info for you: 

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131sdcard 

In short, you need to mount your SDCard in linux system and then run: 

$ sudo dd if=preloader-mkpimage.bin of=/dev/sdx3 bs=64k seek=0 

where "sdx" is the device name of your SDCard. In my case it is "sdb" because I only have one other hard drive, which is mounted as "sda"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. 

I could find another solution on windows by using Win32DiskImager tool and prebult linux image from SOCEDS tool folder. The Win32DiskImager formats the card by the required partitions and then the FAT drive contains the preloader and uboot/baremetal_app 

Thanks
0 Kudos