Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

What's the Altera Equivalent to the Xilinx STARTUP Primitive GSR/GlobalSetReset?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What's the Altera Equivalent to the Xilinx STARTUP Primitive GSR/GlobalSetReset? 

Here's an example of what it looks like for Xilinx: 

// Instantiating STARTUP symbol 

STARTUP U1 (.GSR(global_reset)); 

always @(posedge clk or posedge global_reset) begin 

if (global_reset) begin 

dff <= 1'b0; 

end 

else begin 

dff <= xyz; 

end 

end 

Ok...Altera how to do it without needing a clock and initial conditions to create a global reset? 

The reason why I ask is because I have a QSYS with an HPS core that is outputing a clock from a pll and the top-level FPGA doesn't have a Clock or reset pin that is accessable to the FPGA logic...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To answer your main question - there is no Altera equivalent to the GSR primitive. 

You should be able to route the clock and a reset signal from the HPS to the FPGA fabric directly. What problem are you having? Export the signals in Qsys and then in the top-level HDL wrapper (I assume) that instantiates your Qsys module and your FPGA module just wire the clock and reset from the Qsys module to the FPGA module.
0 Kudos