FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Can Nios II/e and LPM_divide be used without a license & w/o being tethered to PC?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a design that uses a nios II/e and the LPM_Divide megafunction using a de0-nano. Can these be used without having to stay tethered to the pc? I've tried reaching out to Altera but they have been less than helpful. I can't seem to find a straight answer on their site regarding what is time limited and what is not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Nios core is time limited unless you have the license for it. I don't know of the top of my head about the LPM_Divide.  

To find out ask your FAE and/or Arrow rep if you have them. 

NIOS use to be $500 /year. But we haven't renewed it for a couple of years so that could have changed. Not bad for what it is. 

I've never used their LPM_Divide megafunction, because I have my own. the FFT mega function is free with the subscription version of Quartus. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the nios e core is free and shouldnt require being tethered. if you use the f or s core then its time limited. I also think lpm divide is free.  

infact after a quick google: 

Nios II/e "Economy" 

Altera specifically designed the Nios® II/e "economy" processor cores to use the fewest FPGA logic and memory resources. It is now offered free (for both Nios II Classic and Nios II Gen2 processors), no license required, with Quartus® II software version 9.1 and later. The Nios II/e core has higher performance but is in the same cost class as a typical 8051 architecture, achieving over 30 DMIPS at up to 200 MHz, and using fewer than 700 logic elements (LEs). 

from  

https://www.altera.com/products/processors/benefits/nios-ii-processor-cores.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, they are both free and no licensed required. Only the Nios II/f is time limited.

0 Kudos